You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 17:04:38

MercuryShadow

Installing ttf-ms-fonts or ttf-ms-fonts-lic affects other fonts

I prefer the MS TTF fonts for some sites, but installing them seems to change the way other fonts look. For instance, my Liberation fonts look different, and the default Sans and Serif fonts have changed as well. I've googled, checked the Wiki, but can't seem to find an explanation for why this has happened. Can anyone shed some light on this, and possibly suggest a method by which I can keep the look of the default Sans and Serif fonts, as well as the Liberation fonts, while still having the MS TTF ones installed?

#2 2010-01-05 17:21:08

kgas

Re: Installing ttf-ms-fonts or ttf-ms-fonts-lic affects other fonts

There is an option in Firefox to keep the fonts selection Edit-->Preferences-->Content-->Default font ---> Advanced --->Allow pages to choose their own fonts. Hope that is what you want or create your own css

#3 2010-01-05 21:09:06

MercuryShadow

It wasn't just in Firefox, it was in everything else too. Sorry for not being more clear.

I installed several more font packages, and that seems to have taken care of the issue. Not sure which package did the trick, unfortunately.

#4 2010-01-05 21:20:51

jac
Website

For informational purposes, I'm pretty sure that those generic names are that exactly, they just point to the font currently set as the default for that "category". So, new MS fonts took over the position as the default. Same happened when you installed new fonts, I guess. If it happens again, you should set the sytem default fonts to be the actual font you want.

#5 2010-01-05 21:34:31

MercuryShadow

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I found the bit on the Fonts page of the wiki where it explains how to set the default console font, but I didn't see anything about setting the default serif/sans-serif fonts. Any idea on how to do this?

Board footer