You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 11:14:31

yms

[SOLVED] Problem with modules and udev

Hi everybody,

I've been configuring Arch on my new laptop the last few days and today as I was going to perform the first backup, I noticed that my external HDD does not show up in /dev/ when I plug it in. I figured it could be a problem with udev and the fact that in my /etc/rc.conf I use MOD_AUTOLOAD="no" with an explicit list of MODULES generated with hwdetect (as suggested in the wiki).

To "solve" this I just changed MOD_AUTOLOAD to "yes" and after a reboot everything worked fine.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to keep that feature (udev detects usb drives and creates the corresponding /dev/sdX) while having MOD_AUTOLOAD="no" ? What is/are the appropriate module(s) I have to put in my MODULES array ?
2) What other such "basic" MODULES could be very useful that hwdetect does not tell about.

Sorry for any English mistakes (I'm not a native speaker) and thank you in advance for your help,

yms

Last edited by yms (2010-01-06 12:48:20)

Sorry for any English mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

#2 2010-01-06 12:04:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with modules and udev

1. Add usb-storage to your MODULES array.

2. Kind of like "how long is a piece of string?"... describe what you want to do (as you did for 1 above) and someone may be able to tell you what's very useful.

#3 2010-01-06 12:48:03

yms

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with modules and udev

1) Thank you, it works perfectly.
2) Yes I know the question is weird. The thing is I have no precise idea at the moment and I just wanted to know if there are other very widely used features such as the one described in 1) that hwdetect ommits and that has to be loaded in MODULES.

Anyway, thank you very much, I consider this matter [solved]

Sorry for any English mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

Board footer