You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 14:17:44

acmps

[SOLVED] IceWM: "notification area" / taskbar / system tray

Hello! smile

I've recently moved from Gnome to IceWM. It all works nicely but there's a problem. In Gnome (and KDE and fluxbox and pypanel and ...) there was a "notification area" / taskbar / system tray where you could see "minimized to tray" programs, such as: Wicd, Deluge, Transmission, Emesene, etc... But in IceWM that doesn't exist. Well this is a pain in the *ss. I mean, I open deluge, minimize it and now I can't open its main window again.

Can some IceWM user help me?

Thanks, acmps

Last edited by acmps (2010-01-06 15:19:06)

#2 2010-01-06 15:12:10

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] IceWM: "notification area" / taskbar / system tray

It should be all there in a default IceWM setup, esp. there is a built-in system tray in IceWM.

Mostly it depends on how you start IceWM. You need to execute icewm-session in your ~/.xinitrc, as e.g.

exec icewm-session

Or if you want to start IceWM manually, use

xinit /usr/bin/icewm-session

There should be a ~/.icewm folder. If not, create one and copy
/usr/share/icewm/{keys,menu,preferences,toolbar,winoptions}
there. These are well commented setup files which you can change to your needs with any text editor.

Last edited by bernarcher (2010-01-06 15:13:43)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2010-01-06 15:14:02

acmps

Re: [SOLVED] IceWM: "notification area" / taskbar / system tray

bernarcher wrote:

It should be all there in a default IceWM setup, esp. does IceWM hava a built-in system tray.

Mostly it depends on how you start IceWM. You need to execute icewm-session in your ~/.xinitrc, as e.g.

exec icewm-session

Or if you want to start IceWM manually, use

xinit /usr/bin/icewm-session

There should be a ~/.icewm folder. If not, create one and copy /usr/share/icewm/{keys,menu,preferences,toolbar,winoptions} there. These are well commented setup files which you can change to your needs with any text editor.

Thanks! I was used to start IceWM with "exec icewm" in xinitrc, but it seems like it's icewm-session. About the .icewm folder, I already have it. I'm going to try and start IceWM with icewm-session right away.

EDIT: It seems like I don't need to start icewm-session to get the tray, just icewm and icewmtray. Thanks!

Last edited by acmps (2010-01-06 15:18:47)

Board footer