You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 21:11:24

alex_dc

[Solved] CD burning utilities don't recognize blank media

I have had the same result with Graveman and Brasero. Insert blank cd, open utility, set up for burn, click to burn, and the utility tells me to insert a blank cd. Open cd tray, confirm cd is in tray, close tray, close utility notification, retry -- same result. I have tried multiple types of cds.

Both utilities appear to have auto-recognized my drive. It is a DVD drive, however, so I don't know if that makes any sort of difference.

Aside from this, everything cd/dvd related works fine. I have copied data from both dvds and cds to my copmuter without problem, and have played multimedia from both without problem.

Ideas?

Last edited by alex_dc (2010-01-07 17:46:46)

#2 2010-01-06 21:37:38

grey

Re: [Solved] CD burning utilities don't recognize blank media

Try the command line. Assuming you have cdrkit installed:
% wodim --devices

, then

% wodim -v dev=<device> --blank=fast

and then check the error message.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2010-01-06 22:00:08

alex_dc

wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.scsidev: '/dev/scd0'
devname: '/dev/scd0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.9
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
Speed set to 4234 KB/s
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), blank unit scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  A1 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 06 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x06 (cannot format medium - incompatible medium) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.004s timeout 9600s
wodim: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
wodim: Some drives do not support all blank types.
wodim: Try again with wodim blank=all.

#4 2010-01-06 22:09:35

grey

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you need to run wodim as root.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#5 2010-01-06 22:10:49

alex_dc

Tried that immeadiately after, same error minus the "operation not permitted" section at the top.

#6 2010-01-07 06:44:59

Bysshe

I feel your pain.  I simply can't use K3B anymore.  It seems nice and friendly, but it's just too heavy.  Graveman is slightly counter-intuitive, but works quite well when it's working.  When it auto-senses your drive, that may be where it messed up.  You can manually specify your device under File>Preferences>Devices.  The one that's there, left-click on it, then right-click on it, select delete.  You have to delete because you can't specify the correct device location without manually adding a device.  Give it whatever name you think is better, but set the Location to either /dev/cd or /dev/dvd, unless you have different names in fstab.  It's kinda odd how you burn iso's with it also, you go to Duplicate CD and hit the dropdown on Duplicate From.  Just saying, in case you don't have much experience with it.  I wasn't able to use the stupid thing for a really long time.  I missed it.

#7 2010-01-07 07:50:17

toad
Website

I've had the same problem and it was down to the optical drive.

Another burner had no problem with the medium, i.e. entirely OS or software independent.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#8 2010-01-07 17:11:28

alex_dc

Sorry my last two posts were a bit curt, I was busy trying to run around and troubleshoot with my new-found error messages. big_smile

Unfortunately not much luck sad (yet).

toad wrote:

I've had the same problem and it was down to the optical drive.

Another burner had no problem with the medium, i.e. entirely OS or software independent.

I know it isn't a problem with the burner, because I have bruned several CDs (inclluding the Arch installation CD) under Windows before changing OSs.

Bysshe wrote:

I feel your pain.  I simply can't use K3B anymore.  It seems nice and friendly, but it's just too heavy.  Graveman is slightly counter-intuitive, but works quite well when it's working.  When it auto-senses your drive, that may be where it messed up.  You can manually specify your device under File>Preferences>Devices.  The one that's there, left-click on it, then right-click on it, select delete.  You have to delete because you can't specify the correct device location without manually adding a device.  Give it whatever name you think is better, but set the Location to either /dev/cd or /dev/dvd, unless you have different names in fstab.  It's kinda odd how you burn iso's with it also, you go to Duplicate CD and hit the dropdown on Duplicate From.  Just saying, in case you don't have much experience with it.  I wasn't able to use the stupid thing for a really long time.  I missed it.

Like I said, it seems to have auto-detected my drive fine. The "settings" tab shows the correct drive information. However, I will go ahead and try what you said anyone, maybe something screwed up in the auto-detection processes.

#9 2010-01-07 17:42:37

alex_dc

And we have a winner!!!!

I redirected Graveman to /dev/dvd and did a test burn. It worked fine.

Realy I guess it was my own damn fault for forgetting the first rule of Linux: Nothing works automagically, don't expect it to. If I had just remembered that, it would have saved me a whole lot of headache.

Thanks guys!

#10 2010-01-10 03:48:59

Bysshe

alex_dc wrote:

And we have a winner!!!!

Realy I guess it was my own damn fault for forgetting the first rule of Linux: Nothing works automagically, don't expect it to. If I had just remembered that, it would have saved me a whole lot of headache.

Thanks guys!

Hehe, yeah, that's what it did to me.  Named the drive perfectly, lead me to believe everything was perfect, and then simply used the wrong resource name so it wouldn't work.  It was something like 3 0 0 was the location it was using.  I've never seen a directory location like that though.  Random crap.

#11 2010-01-10 04:00:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

Bysshe wrote:
alex_dc wrote:

And we have a winner!!!!

Thanks guys!

Hehe, yeah, that's what it did to me.  Named the drive perfectly, lead me to believe everything was perfect, and then simply used the wrong resource name so it wouldn't work.  It was something like 3 0 0 was the location it was using.  I've never seen a directory location like that though.  Random crap.

Just so you know, there are symlinks created for the different facets of CD(R,RW),DVD(R,W) under /dev/cd:

~ > ls -al /dev/cd
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan  9 13:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 5500 Jan  9 13:16 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    6 Jan  9 13:15 cdrom-1:0:0:0 -> ../sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    6 Jan  9 13:15 cdrw-1:0:0:0 -> ../sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    6 Jan  9 13:15 dvd-1:0:0:0 -> ../sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    6 Jan  9 13:15 dvdrw-1:0:0:0 -> ../sr0

It's the same device, but the system uses these symlinks to handle the differences in how programs call them. graveman is ancient, so it's a special case.

#12 2010-01-15 21:03:25

lmsguerr

Hi!! Thanks very much for this explanation... for some reason unknown to me, when i firts installed graveman it worked flawless (despite the that it don't burn dvd iso images), then when i tried to erase a cd-rw it change the device to a 3.1.0 (just notice that when i read this post), mine is 0.1.0.... So i changed the config file of graveman and now it's working again, i was begining to think that it was my recorder that was becoming broken, but the fact that i could burn in console mode make me think and to look in the forum....

In meanwhile i'd installed brasero just to check and didn't work there either. Does any one knows how to change the device in brasero? I didn't file the config file or a option in gui mode...

Thanks...

Last edited by lmsguerr (2010-01-15 21:04:20)

Linux /  4.18.5-ARCH / x86_64 / Intel I5-4460s /  Intel® HD Graphics 4600  / MSI B85-G43 Gaming

Board footer