You are not logged in.

#301 2010-02-01 17:18:37

SoleSoul

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

Thank you Xyne for bauerbill.
I have a question. I don't know if it had been asked before.

When bauerbill tries to install an AUR package Z that needs packages X and Y as deps.
Lets say X and Y are installed successfully but Z fails to compile. Isn't it logical to offer to remove packages X and Y since they are not needed without the Z package?

I came across this case when tried to install mutter. bauerbill installed many deps but one of them failed to compile. I had to look in /var/log/pacman.log and manually remove the unneeded deps.

What do you think?

#302 2010-02-01 19:39:40

quigybo

Xyne: Awesome package, thanks a lot for writing this. Having not used powerpill and coming from yaourt/pacman this is a huge improvement.

I have a couple questions/requests in no particular order (apologies if they have already been answered somewhere in the middle of this thread);

i) the list of dependencies seems to be missing on a bauerbill -Si <someaurpkg>, was this an intentional or accidental omission?

ii) seeing the number of votes on a bauerbill -Ss <somepkg> was a helpful feature of yaourt. any plans to include it in bauerbill?

iii) is it possible in the config somewhere to specify a pager to use on viewing the PKGBUILD of an aur pkg, instead of outputting it to the terminal?

iv) I know this is nitpicking, but can [ok] be the default on pressing enter when asked to view/continue etc, so you don't have to explicity type ok everytime?

Either way thanks a lot for this package, tis definitely a keeper.

#303 2010-02-01 21:18:37

virus_found
Website

sudo bauerbill -S --abs bash

--> Determining sizes of source files...

:: The following sources will be downloaded:
   bash:
     http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.1-patches/bash41-$p

:: Number of Sources:                        1
:: Total Download Size:              >=0.00 MB

:: Proceed with download? [Y/n] 

Download Results:
gid|stat|avg speed  |path/URI
===+====+===========+===========================================================
  1| ERR|        n/a|/tmp/bauerbill/build/core/bash/bash41-$p

Status Legend:
(ERR):error occurred.

aria2 will resume download if the transfer is restarted.
If there are any errors, then see the log file. See '-l' option in help/man page for details.

:: 1 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n]

bash PKGBUILD

#304 2010-02-01 21:53:57

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@SoleSoul
It should now remove makedepends if a build fails. I will try to improve that later to remove the depends of the target package as well.

quigybo wrote:

i) the list of dependencies seems to be missing on a bauerbill -Si <someaurpkg>, was this an intentional or accidental omission?

The RPC interface doesn't provide that information so that's reluctantly on purpose. The only way to get that info would be to either mirror the taurballs then extract and parse them for each query, which would be slow and annoying. The other option would be to scrape the AUR web pages, but the whole point of the RPC interface is to avoid that, plus the depends and makedepends reported by the web interface are not 100% accurate anyway due to the lack of a full PKGBUILD parser.

quigybo wrote:

ii) seeing the number of votes on a bauerbill -Ss <somepkg> was a helpful feature of yaourt. any plans to include it in bauerbill?

I do intend to provide a way to customize output for various commands using templates but I haven't gotten to it yet.

quigybo wrote:

iii) is it possible in the config somewhere to specify a pager to use on viewing the PKGBUILD of an aur pkg, instead of outputting it to the terminal?

No, but I might be able to implement that if you can provide a clear example of how to interact with a pager (I don't use one).

quigybo wrote:

iv) I know this is nitpicking, but can [ok] be the default on pressing enter when asked to view/continue etc, so you don't have to explicity type ok everytime?

That's actually intentional. The confirmation command is the only one that's two characters to make sure that no one accidentally approves it. If  you trust the PKGBUILD then I would recommend using one of the options to trust PKGBUILDs to avoid the prompt. If you're inspecting them then entering "ok" should not be a big deal, but I'm not entirely against changing this. I could always add an option to enable a default on enter.

@virus_found
Yeah, that's due to the conditionals and the for loop in the PKGBUILD. I still need to implement support for that in the PKGBUILD parser, although I'll probably draw the line at for loops,

On to other news.

Bauerbill now supports building packages from CPAN with full dependency resolution and makedepends tracking! big_smile
Take a look at pacpan for complimentary functionality, such as updating the provides arrays of installled CPAN packages to enable dependency resolution.

Grab the latest version from my repo. I'll upload it to the AUR after some testing and feedback.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-02-01 21:55:10)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#305 2010-02-01 22:50:16

quigybo

Xyne wrote:
quigybo wrote:

No, but I might be able to implement that if you can provide a clear example of how to interact with a pager (I don't use one).

I don't know perl so I can't help there, but to the user it would look as follows: on choosing [v] for view a pager such as less shows the information in the PKGBUILD, on exiting the pager you are brought back to bauerbill to the same view/edit prompt. Like what happens on editing the PKGBUILD, only a pager is used instead of an editor.

Xyne wrote:
quigybo wrote:

That's actually intentional. The confirmation command is the only one that's two characters to make sure that no one accidentally approves it. If  you trust the PKGBUILD then I would recommend using one of the options to trust PKGBUILDs to avoid the prompt. If you're inspecting them then entering "ok" should not be a big deal, but I'm not entirely against changing this. I could always add an option to enable a default on enter.

Just an option in the config to turn it on or something would be good, it doesn't have to be default but being able to configure stuff is always nice. It could probably be combined with an option not to have to press enter on pressing [e]/[v] etc, I think that may appeal to some.

Thanks for your quick reply and openness to suggestions, I look forward to seeing your progress.

#306 2010-02-01 22:51:51

SoleSoul

Thank you for the quick improvement!
It's really good to see the progress. Good luck!

#307 2010-02-02 00:14:45

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@quigybo
I expected "pagers" to be something more complicated. tongue

I've added a "Viewer"/"--viewer" option which you can use to specify any application which accepts text piped in on STDIN. I've only tested it with "less" but it should work for anything that's compatible.

I'll look into the default option for the inspection prompt later. I'm too tired to mess around with "security" code right now.

Btw, just to be clear, the latest version is only available from my repo for the moment. I want to wait a few days to make sure that I haven't broken anything while plugging in CPAN support.

#308 2010-02-02 01:59:11

vkumar

Xyne:
I'd like to request a small behavior change (might have been posted earlier - haven't checked): when an update fails (for whatever reason) and the user decides to not retry the download, I don't think bauerbill should switch to pacman and try to install the packages. Pacman will just complain of checksum mismatches (because the packages are incomplete).

Also: thank you for bauerbill - it's truly fantastic.

div curl F = 0

#309 2010-02-02 07:45:10

polymetr

Hi. You forgot about a tar argument when tauerball unpacking occurs.
Have we any sense to keep a argument (-k 'keep')?

--- Bauerbill.pm_old    2010-02-02 09:36:31.000000000 +0200
+++ Bauerbill.pm    2010-02-02 09:38:25.881284405 +0200
@@ -1540,7 +1540,7 @@
     my $dpath = &join_paths($self->get_value('BuildDir'),'AUR');
     $self->make_build_dir_or_exit('AUR');
     &unsu();
-    my ($e,$msg) = &execute_tar_cmd(undef,"-zf $fpath -C $dpath -x --no-same-owner --no-same-permissions -k 2>/dev/null");
+    my ($e,$msg) = &execute_tar_cmd(undef,"-zf $fpath -C $dpath -x --no-same-owner --no-same-permissions 2>/dev/null");
     $self->grant_access_to_builder($dpath);
     $self->drop_root_privileges_or_exit();
     # see comment for abs extraction

#310 2010-02-02 11:08:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@vkumar
If a download fails and the user chooses not to continue, the user will now be prompted to abort the operation. Depending on what failed to download, sometimes it makes sense to continue. For example, if a source download fails because the PKGBUILD parser incorrectly interpreted a URL or checksum, then makepkg will be able to download the source file instead and the rest of the operation can continue as expected.

Using "--noconfirm" will not abort the operation. If the user has chosen to run it non-interactively, then I do not expect him/her to care about the extra step of running pacman when it fails, but he/she should be happy when it succeeds despite the download error.

@polymetr
Are you using the latest version of perl-xyne-arch (1.2.3-1) from my site? That line was changed with the release that added CPAN support.

#311 2010-02-02 15:29:27

smradlev

bauerbill doesn't handle single quotes in the source correctly (I tried installing with yaourt, and it works with it).
In the PKGBUILD of rawtherapee, it reads:
source=('http://www.rawtherapee.com/'$pkgname'30src.tgz' \

bauerbill however translates the source as:

:: The following sources will be downloaded:
   rawtherapee:
     http://www.rawtherapee.com/'rawtherapee'30src.tgz

and then it can't find the source, since it should translate it without the single quotes.

#312 2010-02-02 19:07:14

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I'll fix that, even though I don't see why the packager didn't just use "/${pkgname}30src.tgz" instead. *sigh*

@everyone
I've added a new option to speed up big operations: "Memoize"|"--memoize"
It will cache database queries which makes subsequence lookups much faster (e.g. when checking for local providers during dependency resolution). It uses more memory though so I've left it optional.

#313 2010-02-02 19:27:27

kaivalagi

Xyne wrote:

@everyone
I've added a new option to speed up big operations: "Memoize"|"--memoize"
It will cache database queries which makes subsequence lookups much faster (e.g. when checking for local providers during dependency resolution). It uses more memory though so I've left it optional.

Spelling mistake? I'm being picky but shouldn't it be "Memorize"|"--memorize" (US English) or "Memorise"|"--memorise" (English English smile)

Thanks for all your efforts, still using bauerbill (and rebase now) without issue big_smile

Last edited by kaivalagi (2010-02-02 19:28:17)

Running Arch 64 (Made the switch to Arch 10/2009)
AUR | BZR

#314 2010-02-02 19:28:15

MAroco

Great to see bauerbill improve every day. smile

I'd like to propose another feature request: would it be possible to add a "skip" option to bauerbill?
Could be yery handy if one wants to update the whole system but leave a single package out for that run.
This again relates to the tar.gz.-sync-problem... and would be easier than stopping the update-process with x, changing pacman.conf hold-option, starting process again and go through all the packages before the to-be-skipped again.

#315 2010-02-02 19:29:06

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@kaivalagi
Nope, "memoize" is a computing term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoize

-5 geek points for you tongue

Also, "memorize" is the preferred spelling in both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries. Most people make the mistake of thinking the "-ize" forms are Americanisms... in fact, they're from Ancient greek. The "-ise" is from French... very un-British to use the "-ise' forms actually tongue

Last edited by Xyne (2010-02-02 19:32:19)

#316 2010-02-03 20:58:40

Hamilton

I ditched yaourt and installed bauerbill in order to install haskell packages from AUR and was getting this error:

failed to configure permissions for /tmp/bauerbill/taurballs

This folder was owned by root and had permissions of 700, which kept the unprivileged user from accessing it.  My .bashrc file sets the umask to 077 and this was causing the problem.  When the umask is set to 000, bauerbill runs wonderfully.

#317 2010-02-03 22:09:02

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Since a while my bauerbill alias isn't working - not sure if this is a bug or maybe I missed something.

[~]$ bb -Syu
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman -y -u
error: no operation specified (use -h for help)
[~]$ grep bb .bashrc
alias bb='sudo bauerbill --rebase --aur --build-as me --reflect'
[~]$ sudo bauerbill --rebase --aur --build-as me --reflect -Syu
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman -y -u
error: no operation specified (use -h for help)

Calling bauerbill with bb -SSyu produces the expected results.

Oh, and Ctrl-C while bauerbill is busy produces a segmentation fault for me.

~]$ bb -SSyu
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...
^CSegmentation fault

Last edited by schuay (2010-02-03 22:12:03)

#318 2010-02-03 22:16:58

sdolim

Feature request:  Add to the PKGBUILD action menu
    view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]
an item "powerpill" [pp], to switch to using powerpill to install the prebuilt version, for dependencies that exist in repositories.

Use case:

$ bauerbill -S pure-svn
warning: about to source /home/abs/builds/AUR/pure-svn/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  ok
warning: about to source /home/abs/builds/community/llvm/PKGBUILD
# Oh heck, I want to build pure from source but not llvm (and whatever its dependencies are)...
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  powerpill [pp] pp

Last edited by sdolim (2010-02-03 22:17:47)

#319 2010-02-03 23:25:17

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Hamilton
I've just changed some of the code which manages permissions while debugging some of the CPAN functionality. Please test the latest version in the repo on my site to check if I've inadvertently fixed that issue as well. If not, I will look into it. Also, as a heads-up, you need to place my repo above [community] in your pacman.conf file to make sure that you pull in the latest versions of my packages. This will prevent mismatching with the version in community. Normally they all all in sync but right now I'm still waiting to push the latest versions into [community] while I test the newly added CPAN functionality.

@schuay
That looks like it's unrelated to bauebill. Post your aliases so I can inspect them.

Just to be sure though, which versions of my packages are you using?

@sdolim
I'll give that some thought. I might add an optional dialogue that would let the user specify which packages to build and which to download from the servers, the same way you can specify which packages to install from a group. I need to look at the code to determine where the best point of insertion is.

#320 2010-02-03 23:54:32

MAroco

Hi Xyne,
since we posted nearly at the same time on 2010-02-02  you seem to have not seen my one :-)
Would a skip option for single packages in the action menu be possible? I think sdolims option would be very handy too.
Thanks for your work!!

#321 2010-02-04 00:25:05

sdolim

@Maroco,

I was going to ask for this too, but I found out that bauerbill will give you the option to skip *after* you say "ok", and then the dependencies fail.

#322 2010-02-04 03:46:50

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@MAroco
Yeah, I missed it. I think someone else asked for that too.

I've made the following changes but haven't fully tested them yet, so let me know if they work as expected:

*) using ABS now prompts the user to approve the ABS build queue using a tweaked version of the group selection dialogue
*) renamed the "BuildDeps" option "BuildAll" (it bypasses the aforementioned dialogue)
*) added "Autobuild" option: packages specified with Autobuild will always be built, regardless of the ABS and BuildAll options
*) added "Autopatch" option: when trusting a PKGBUILD, it will automatically apply patches found in PatchDir
*) added a "[s] skip" option to the PKGBUILD inspection prompt (only made a very simple change to the code and it seems to work, but I haven't really tested it)

The latter two should make it possible to fully customize official packages and keep them in sync with the repo versions automatically (e.g. patch out configuration options, patch in optdepends as depends)

Last edited by Xyne (2010-02-04 03:48:48)

#323 2010-02-04 03:52:08

Kilroo

I thought this was kind of interesting behavior...

if I call bauerbill --root foo --cachedir bar, when it switches to pacman it passes --root --cachedir bar foo, which doesn't work.

if I call bauerbill --cachedir bar --root foo, when it switched to pacman it passes --cachedir bar --root foo, which I think should work. Pretty sure I'm doing something else wrong too though.

Last edited by Kilroo (2010-02-04 03:54:41)

#324 2010-02-04 04:04:37

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Kilroo
Thanks. It should be fixed in perl-xyne-arch>=1.2.7

#325 2010-02-04 04:26:12

skottish
Forum Fellow