You are not logged in.

#501 2010-03-04 14:52:35

milomouse
Website

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

Sorry if this was already answered or I'm missing something in the conf, but is there a way to have the BuildDir not create sub-folders like "aur". I'm pretty sure I wont be downloading two packages with the same name from abs+aur (but that's just me). So I was wondering if I could point the BuildDir to, say, /var/abs/local and have it simply create the "pkgname" folder, like /var/abs/local/pkgname, instead of /var/abs/local/aur/pkgname? If it's in the program somewhere before compiling I don't mind changing it, just so long as I don't mess anything up by doing so.

#502 2010-03-05 00:59:00

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@milomouse
It's written in Perl, so the code is not compiled. wink

You can look through the code and try to change it for your personal needs, but I won't change it on my end. Name collisions will occur between official and unofficial repos (e.g. xyne-any and community) and will also occur when using CPAN and Hackage.

If you do try to change their locations then keep in mind that the PatchDir and TaurballDir mirror the hierarchy of the BuildDir.

As it's all handled automatically, what difference does it make?

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#503 2010-03-05 09:45:01

milomouse
Website

Ah, right. I just haven't gotten around to probing the code (which I guess I should've before posting), as I don't know much about Perl. I also didn't take into consideration the unofficial repos as I generally don't use them. Thanks for the note on hierarchy of BuildDir, that makes sense. I should probably play around with this some more but I haven't been online too much to even use it. The more I think about it the more I realize I didn't really use -that other program- when I had it either. I've since made a simple prompter to ease the working/creating of PKGBUILDs from different locations as it appears I don't share the same goals as most people when building packages. I tend to be more of the "makepkg" after shifting through "src" folder kinda guy, and a small prompter seems more my speed. I apologize if it seems like I came to a winery and asked for beer, I really don't mean to, was just curious. Thanks smile

#504 2010-03-05 15:54:57

Giniu
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

I have short question - what should I do if makepkg can download the source but bauerbill cannot? There is for example ois package in aur that have issue with underscore in source path, how this should be walked around? Maybe I should know, but those are first day of me using it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Giniu (2010-03-05 16:14:10)

My GPG fingerprint: 7170 26A9 D477 9FC5 3940  7266 40F5 57B7 3149 6106

#505 2010-03-05 19:09:09

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Just enter "n" when it asks you you if you would like to retry the download. When it gets to the makepkg step, makepkg will download the file and everything else should just work.

#506 2010-03-05 19:42:20

Giniu
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Thanks, it works smile

#507 2010-03-07 11:26:46

Giniu
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

One more thing - I use Arch64 and 32 bit chroot, I installed bauerbill in chroot too (I use 32 bit for wine, skype, serna and some other apps mostly) - but when I update in it, -i686 package is built, but bauerbill looks for -x86_64 package and aborts:

[root@raven3 giniu]# chroot /opt/arch32
[root@raven3 /]# bauerbill -S winetricks
WARNING: winetricks does not match any package or group in sync db
--> Searching for AUR packages...
--> Loading AUR taurball data...
WARNING: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/aur/winetricks/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  ok
--> resolving wine... installed
--> resolving cabextract... installed
--> Determining sizes of source files...
--> Building winetricks...
==> ERROR: A package has already been built. (use -f to overwrite)
ERROR: makepkg exited with an error (256)
ERROR: no package found: /tmp/bauerbill/build/aur/winetricks/winetricks-20100201-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
:: Abort? [Y/n] Y
[root@raven3 /]# ls /tmp/bauerbill/build/aur/winetricks
pkg  PKGBUILD  src  winetricks    winetricks-20100201-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
[root@raven3 /]#

is there any option that I missed here?

#508 2010-03-07 11:59:22

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I've added an "Arch"|"--arch" option. Update to the latest version of perl-xyne-arch on my site and let me know if it works (e.g. bauerbill --arch i686 ...). I haven't tested it because I don't have an i686 chroot to test it in (I use kvm for i686 builds).

I don't know why it fails to detect the chroot. Internally it uses the "uname" function from Perl's POSIX module. What's the output of the following command from within the chroot?

perl -MPOSIX -e 'print join "\n",uname'

#509 2010-03-07 13:14:47

Giniu
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Xyne wrote:

I've added an "Arch"|"--arch" option. Update to the latest version of perl-xyne-arch on my site and let me know if it works (e.g. bauerbill --arch i686 ...). I haven't tested it because I don't have an i686 chroot to test it in (I use kvm for i686 builds).

I don't know why it fails to detect the chroot. Internally it uses the "uname" function from Perl's POSIX module. What's the output of the following command from within the chroot?

perl -MPOSIX -e 'print join "\n",uname'

Ok, so when I used new perl-xyne-arch and added --arch i686 it worked. I don't know why, but

# perl -MPOSIX -e 'print join "\n",uname'
Linux
raven3
2.6.32-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 23 19:43:46 CET 2010
x86_64

so it seems like this is faulty. The chroot is setup like this wiki page.

-- edit:

well, with --arch i686 it almost works... when package uses different dependencies for i686 and 64 bits, like for example:

[ "$CARCH" = "i686"   ] && depends=('libxpm' 'libxcursor' 'libxxf86vm' 'libvorbis')
[ "$CARCH" = "x86_64" ] && depends=('lib32-libxpm' 'lib32-libxcursor' 'lib32-libxxf86vm' 'lib32-libvorbis')

it still tries to get lib32-* versions, and cannot find them (because they are in 64 bit repo and 32 bit one is used I guess)...

Last edited by Giniu (2010-03-08 20:48:56)

#510 2010-03-09 08:59:30

xdeusx

--> Running pacman: /usr/bin/pacman --cachedir "/var/cache/pacman/pkg" -U --asdeps /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lib32-jack-0.116.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz 
loading package data...
checking dependencies...
error: replacing packages with -U is not supported yet
error: you can replace packages manually using -Rd and -U
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: lib32-jack: conflicts with lib32-jack-audio-connection-kit
error: pacman exited with an error (256)

Bauerbill automatically build this package (lib32-jack), as it is a new dependency for bin32-wine. But it can't install it, because the new package is conflicting with the old dependency (lib32-jack-audio-connection-kit).
Maybe Bauerbill should check for these kinda problems before trying to install something.

But that's just a minor problem I noticed earlier today.

#511 2010-03-09 13:04:38

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Giniu
That's due to a limitation of the PKGBUILD parser. I'm working on a better method but it will take a while to implement if it even works at all. I suggest that you edit the PKGBUILD at the prompt. If you enable PatchDir then you can create a patch at the prompt as well and apply it to subsequent builds.

@xdeusx
That's a limitation of pacman, not bauerbill (bauerbill uses "pacman -U" to install packages. I might eventually provide a work-around for that but at the moment I don't have time to add new features to bauerbill.

#512 2010-03-12 13:48:46

milomouse
Website

I noticed something when it moves from AUR to the repos (for me anyway). It will show the: view [v] edit [e],.. etc, and when I immediately press "e" it will open the editor. Once I get to the repos it will double the prompt of view [v]... -> abort [x] view [v] edit [e], and I'll have to hit "enter" after I type "e", which I prefer anyway. 

--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...
--> Loading AUR taurball data...
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/aur/surfraw-git/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  e
 (..truncated..)
--> Loading ABS taurball data...
--> Checking for abs archive updates for the following repos: [testing] [community] [core] [extra]
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/testing/man-pages/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  ok
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/extra/ghostscript/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  e

Another quick question: what's the search pattern for repos? I notice it jumps from "community" to "testing" to "extra" to "testing" to "core" to "core" to "testing", etc. It goes all over the place. I was hoping "testing" would be first prompted on all accounts because if it shows "core" first I'm unaware of a "testing" version until it's five prompts down and end up canceling it so I can "unselect" the core version. Thanks

Last edited by milomouse (2010-03-12 13:59:46)

#513 2010-03-13 00:41:40

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@milomouse
That problem has come up once before. Take a look at the relevant posts starting here and let me know if you can figure out what might be causing it on your system (look for any commonality you can find).

I'll try to remember to add an option to enable the current prompt behavior and then default to the original which requires "enter".

What do you mean by "search pattern" and "first prompted on all accounts"? If you just mean the order of the output in a search, then the order of packages in the official repos is determined by pacman and lumped together, followed by sections for AUR, CPAN and Hackage packages (although probably not that exact order).

I'll need an example of the command your using and the expected output to be able to give a better answer.

#514 2010-03-13 02:32:34

milomouse
Website

The second patch seems to be working so far. I believe my results were the same as the previous users. First patch produced this, where my input was a line below prompt and I had to hit enter to proceed (no double prompts though)

WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/teseting/man-pages/PKGBUILD
number of prompt options: 6
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x] 
e
number of prompt options: 6
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x] 
ok

And second patch produced this, where my input was beside prompt and I had to press enter to proceed (which I like), and so far no double prompts:

WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/testing/man-pages/PKGBUILD
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/extra/ghostscript/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  skip [s]  abort [x]  x

So, this seems to be working so far. I tried doing a "Syyu" like my previous post but there were no updates for me yet so I tried packages from previous post that caused the problems. I can't think of why mine and the other users output were apparently just two of possibly a large number of people using it. I don't believe I have anything exotic installed or running that would bork something like that. I tried it both inside and outside of tmux but they yielded the same results. Regardless, the second patch seems to being working and I do greatly appreciate it. If I come across the double prompting again I'll do the same thing by letting you know which packages, what command I used, and post output. smile

As far as the searching goes: I guess I meant to say that when I used that other program, yaourt, it would list the entries in the repos first and I could select manually to use the testing version instead of the core,extra,etc version of that package if both existed. I know it's a different approach than Bauerbills with the listing and all but that's the only way I could think to compare it. Another less valid aspect I was trying to say is that it would install all testing packages first, and go down the line of repos until it got to AUR and finished. With Bauerbill I noticed it would start to install a core package then a extra then a testing, then another core package, etc. That's why I was wondering "how" it searched for repos, where yaourt started in testing and moved down, I guess by the way I had my repos listed in the conf, though I'm only guessing that's why. This isn't a big deal and probably doesn't effect anything functionality wise, I was just curious as to which packages from which repos it tried to install first. I apologize if I'm still sounding cryptic. I don't mean to be a pest or anything but I don't usually get the chance to speak to the developer of the software I'm using and ultimately end up fending for myself. So thanks again for your responses

#515 2010-03-13 02:42:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Bauerbill respect the order of the repos in pacman.conf, the same way that pacman does. If you want to use testing, place it above the other repos (this is the way you do it with pacman). You can also specify packages using the "$repo/$pkgname" convention (again, just as you can with pacman), e.g. "community/foo", "testing/bar".

#516 2010-03-13 03:05:01

milomouse
Website

I know about installing specific packages by specifying repo on the command-line. This is when I do a simple bauerbill "Syu/Syyu". It will say its searching and then start downloading/installing as expected. I just noticed every other download would usually be from a different repo and not in order of repo, like all testing first, then all core, etc. Like I said; it probably doesn't matter which are install first if they don't depend on one another. That would be handled by dependency checking just fine. I may just not update for a couple days and do it again to show output if it matters.

#517 2010-03-13 06:31:38

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Maybe you're referring to the dependency resolution output. If that's the case then it goes through the dependencies in the order that they're listed in the database (or PKGBUILD) and it selects the repos based on the repo order in pacman.conf.

For example, if the "foo" depends on "bar" and "baz", it will check for bar first, in each repo in your repo list, until it finds it, then move on to baz and do the same. There might be times when foo specifies "bar>=x.xx" which would cause it to ignore a lower version of bar in one repo and keep checking the others for one that meets the dependency.

#518 2010-03-13 20:33:54

Primoz

Hey Xyne; you probably noticed (or not) last aria2 update breaks bauerbill. I've reverted to previous version of it. But is there any other way to repair that. Or was it already repaired?
And i just have to Syu again.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#519 2010-03-13 20:53:48

milomouse
Website

Ok, so here's an example:

» bauerbill -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 testing                    8.1K   37.6K/s 00:00:00 [#####################################################] 100%
 core                      36.2K   61.2K/s 00:00:01 [#####################################################] 100%
 extra                    445.7K   86.3K/s 00:00:05 [#####################################################] 100%
 community                366.8K   85.6K/s 00:00:04 [#####################################################] 100%
 community-testing          2.4K  178.3K/s 00:00:00 [#####################################################] 100%
 arch-games                32.7K   49.7K/s 00:00:01 [#####################################################] 100%
 fukawi                     3.8K  124.3K/s 00:00:00 [#####################################################] 100%
--> Loading ABS taurball data...
--> Checking for abs archive updates for the following repos: [core] [community] [extra]
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/extra/xorg-util-macros/PKGBUILD
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/community/tmux/PKGBUILD
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/extra/aria2/PKGBUILD
WARNING: about to source /var/abs/local/core/util-linux-ng/PKGBUILD

See how it goes from 'extra' -> 'community' -> 'extra' -> 'core'? That's all I was referring to. Of course if I skip all these it will revert to pacman and install in what looks like alphabetical order. aria -> tmux -> util-linux-ng -> xorg-util-macros. I guess this goes to say it doesn't matter the order so long as they're not "one depends on the other version and must be installed first". My original question was in which order does Bauerbill process these, as they're in a mixed-matched order when being prompted for viewing/editing/etc

#520 2010-03-14 03:18:14

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Primoz
It should be fixed now.

@milomouse
The order is due to the structure of the dependency tree traced from each package. The packages are built in an order which ensures that the deepest dependencies are built first to ensure that later builds are built against their (newest) dependencies. Independent branches are built in sequence which probably explains the repo order of the packages. The repo order is completely irrelevant as long as the dependency tree is respected.

#521 2010-03-14 12:06:14

Runiq

I'm having an error similar to what Primoz mentioned in the other bauerbill thread – downloading doesn't work using bauerbill but powerpill, but there is no error message regarding MetaLinkHelper.cc or anything:

$ bauerbill -Syu --aur
--> resolving enca... installed
--> resolving fontconfig... installed
--> resolving libpng... installed
--> Reflecting... retrieved 15 mirrors.

:: The following packages will be downloaded:
   [extra]
     libass

:: Number of Packages:                       1
:: Total Download Size:               0.07 MiB
:: Binary Package Install Size:       0.28 MiB

:: Proceed with download? [Y/n] 
--> Reflecting... retrieved 15 mirrors.

:: 1 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n] n
:: Would you like to abort the operation? [y/n] y

Perl-xyne-arch, as well as bauerbill/powerpill/aria2 are up to date. Is there any way to increase verbosity in bauerbill/aria2? I looked through the manpages but couldn't find anything.

#522 2010-03-14 12:53:22

gav616

this might be related,

I have the AUR package 'mplayer-minimal' installed which provides 'mplayer' obviously, but on an update bauerbill is saying its found a 'mplayer' update, but mplayer is not installed, only the package that provides it.

I then get the error like the above comment..

[core]
     man-db [0.76 MiB] man-pages [4.33 MiB] tzdata [0.55 MiB]
   [extra]
     apr [0.24 MiB] apr-util [0.15 MiB] mplayer [8.29 MiB]
     pmount [0.06 MiB] polkit [0.38 MiB] x264 [0.28 MiB]
     xorg-server [1.69 MiB]
   [xyne-any]
     perl-xyne-arch [0.10 MiB]

:: Number of Packages:                      11
:: Total Download Size:              16.84 MiB
:: Binary Package Install Size:      62.63 MiB

:: Proceed with download? [Y/n] y
--> Reflecting... retrieved 45 mirrors.

Exception caught
Exception: [MetalinkHelper.cc:75] No file entry found. Probably, the metalink file is not configured properly or broken.

:: 11 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n]

#523 2010-03-14 15:48:07

tri1976

I have similar "unsuccesful download" using the latest bauerbill

$ sudo bauerbill -S --aur extra/php
--> resolving pcre... installed
--> resolving libxml2... installed
--> resolving bzip2... installed
--> resolving openssl... installed

[extra]
     extra/php

:: Total Download Size:               2.78 MiB
:: Binary Package Install Size:      14.05 MiB

Download Results:
gid|stat|avg speed  |path/URI
===+====+===========+===========================================================
  1| ERR|        n/a|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/php-5.3.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Status Legend:
(ERR):error occurred.

aria2 will resume download if the transfer is restarted.
If there are any errors, then see the log file. See '-l' option in help/man page for details.

:: 1 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n] n
:: Would you like to abort the operation? [y/n] n
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman -S extra/php
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): php-5.3.2-2

Total Download Size:    2.78 MB
Total Installed Size:   14.05 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
:: Retrieving packages from extra...
 php-5.3.2-2-x86_64....     2.8M  691.0K/s 00:00:04 [#####################] 100%
checking package integrity...
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                   [#####################] 100%
(1/1) installing php                                [#####################] 100

#524 2010-03-14 17:13:33

milomouse
Website

Xyne wrote:

@milomouse
The order is due to the structure of the dependency tree traced from each package. The packages are built in an order which ensures that the deepest dependencies are built first to ensure that later builds are built against their (newest) dependencies. Independent branches are built in sequence which probably explains the repo order of the packages. The repo order is completely irrelevant as long as the dependency tree is respected.

Thank you very much, that's what I was wondering.

EDIT: One last question: Do you think there will be an option (outside of that patch) to allow user to choose something like "DontNeedToPressEnter [yes/no]"? I personally like pressing enter before moving to next prompt but that's just me. If not, I guess I'll continue to use the patch and edit it with each update. No biggie. Thanks

Last edited by milomouse (2010-03-14 20:10:55)

#525 2010-03-14 21:48:10

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Runiq
That seems to be unrelated to the other error. Try refreshing the database to make sure that it's trying to download the current version of the package. Also check that your main mirror is not out of sync. If none of that helps, post the metalink (using either "--get-metalink" or "--save-metalink /path/to/metalink").

@gav616
What's the output of "bauerbill -Qu --aur"?
The metalink error should be fixed in the latest version of perl-xyne-arch.

@tri1976
It works here. It might be an issue with your mirror. Take a look at my reply to Runiq above.

bauerbill -Sw --cachedir . extra/php
--> resolving pcre... installed
--> resolving libxml2... installed
--> resolving bzip2... installed
--> resolving openssl... installed
--> Reflecting... retrieved 50 mirrors.

[extra]
     extra/php

:: Total Download Size:               2.78 MiB
:: Binary Package Install Size:      14.05 MiB

--> Reflecting... retrieved 50 mirrors.

--> successfully downloaded php-5.3.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz                                                                        

Download Results:
gid|stat|avg speed  |path/URI
===+====+===========+===========================================================
  1|  OK|  84.4KiB/s|/tmp/sandbox/php-5.3.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Status Legend:
 (OK):download completed.

@milomouse
I was planning to wait to add that option because I'm working on other things at the moment, but I gave in. There is not a "UseCbreak"|"--use-cbreak" option to enable the no-<return> behavior. It now defaults to requiring return. Let me know if it works. I've only run a few simple tests.

Board footer