You are not logged in.

#626 2010-04-03 20:27:47

Vasher

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

Xyne wrote:

I don't want to change the default user agent because that will only encourage others to the same stupid thing that they've done on the KDE mirrors. I recommend contacting the KDE people to request that they provide a solution for aria2c and other download agents in general. In the meantime you can add "user-agent=Wget" to the Aria2Args option in the config file.

I'll make a note of this on the project page.

Well, I don't know enough about ways (be they good or bad) to deal with mirror lists to know how foolish their solution is, but it is frustrating if you're not using something popular or standard enough to be special cased by them. But being able to add the appropriate config to the config file does make it possible to fix the problem without making all bauerbill users have to incorrectly report the download program that they're using. So, it looks like we have a solution.

I'll see what I can do about contacting the kde folks about making aria2 work with their site.

#627 2010-04-04 21:25:26

karabaja4
Website

Why is there a long loading time and disk activity when installing a package from AUR? Installing official repo packages with pacman -S takes about 4-5 times less time. I've experienced this stall with yaourt too, I'm just wondering what the reason is...

#628 2010-04-04 21:30:12

polymetr

karabaja4 wrote:

Why is there a long loading time and disk activity when installing a package from AUR? Installing official repo packages with pacman -S takes about 4-5 times less time. I've experienced this stall with yaourt too, I'm just wondering what the reason is...

Maybe it is compiling? smile

#629 2010-04-04 22:03:06

karabaja4
Website

polymetr wrote:
karabaja4 wrote:

Maybe it is compiling? smile

No, I mean the time from when I start bauerbill to when the first output line appears in terminal.

#630 2010-04-04 22:49:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

The disk IO is due to the sync database search. It first checks for packages with matching names which only requires a directory scan, but if it doesn't find one it has to open database files for every package to check for matching groups and providers. After that it has to send a query to the AUR server. The "Memoize" option will prevent redundant sync database searches but will use a bit more memory. You can also reduce the overhead a bit by prefixing aur pkgnames with "aur/", e.g. "aur/foo". I don't remember if that actually bypasses the sync database search entirely, but "time" reports a difference.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#631 2010-04-05 23:23:29

norswap

Figured out. Nevermind.

Last edited by norswap (2010-04-05 23:49:03)

#632 2010-04-06 00:11:32

pogeymanz

Bauerbill always fails when I try to install kernel26-ck from AUR.

:: 1 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n] y

--> successfully downloaded patch-2.6.33.2-1-ARCH.bz2                                            

Download Results:
gid|stat|avg speed  |path/URI
===+====+===========+===========================================================
  2|  OK|       0B/s|/var/bauerbill/aur/kernel26-ck/patch-2.6.33.2-1-ARCH.bz2
  1| ERR|       0B/s|/var/bauerbill/aur/kernel26-ck/autoiso-xorg.patch

Status Legend:
 (OK):download completed.(ERR):error occurred.

aria2 will resume download if the transfer is restarted.
If there are any errors, then see the log file. See '-l' option in help/man page for details.

:: 1 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n] n
:: Would you like to abort the operation? [y/n] y

It will always fail on that file and I don't know why.
Yaourt and Clyde can download it with no problem.

#633 2010-04-06 04:16:27

gogi-goji
Website

I can echo pogeymanz's problems.  I've experienced the exact same thing, and can't imagine why it fails to download the autoiso-xorg patch.  It seems to use the right adress to download the file from, but for some reason it fails.  Which is especially weird when clyde handles things perfectly.

My (sporadically updated) blog
My miscellaneous dotfiles

#634 2010-04-06 06:51:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Try passing the link to that file to aria2 and see what happens?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#635 2010-04-07 22:11:37

jowilkin

I had a small issue with bauerbill today.  Not reall an issue, more like a relevation for a feature request.  I wanted to install adobe acrobat because I have a pdf that looks like crap in evince but looks fine when I print it.

So I went ahead and did bauerbill -Ss acroread and saw there was an aur package, so followed it with bauerbill -S acroread.  It download the file and makepkg informed me the package didn't work on x86_64.

So basically it would be nice for bauerbill to check whether I can actually install the package before downloading a 58MB source file.

#636 2010-04-08 00:31:12

Vasher

jowilkin wrote:

I had a small issue with bauerbill today.  Not reall an issue, more like a relevation for a feature request.  I wanted to install adobe acrobat because I have a pdf that looks like crap in evince but looks fine when I print it.

So I went ahead and did bauerbill -Ss acroread and saw there was an aur package, so followed it with bauerbill -S acroread.  It download the file and makepkg informed me the package didn't work on x86_64.

So basically it would be nice for bauerbill to check whether I can actually install the package before downloading a 58MB source file.

That certainly could be useful, and I think that it's already parsing the PKGBUILD for stuff anyway, so it probably wouldn't be all that hard for it to do that, though obviously Xyne is going to have to be the one to decide that.

However, I would point out in case you didn't figure it out (though you probably did) that the package you want for x86_64 is bin32-acroread.

#637 2010-04-08 01:30:03

jowilkin

Vasher wrote:

However, I would point out in case you didn't figure it out (though you probably did) that the package you want for x86_64 is bin32-acroread.

Yup, thanks, I did find it.  The pdf does look much better in acroread too than it did in evince, I thought pdf should look more or less the same across readers, but it seems not.

#638 2010-04-08 01:52:02

Vasher

jowilkin wrote:
Vasher wrote:

Yup, thanks, I did find it.  The pdf does look much better in acroread too than it did in evince, I thought pdf should look more or less the same across readers, but it seems not.

It probably depends on the document. If it's actually text rather than an image, it's almost certainly going to have to worry about how to properly render fonts which could certainly change things. There are probably other issues which could mess with it, but I haven't run into a big problem with that (I typically use okular). The problem that I've typically run into is printing pdfs correctly, and I've often had problems with pdf files trying to print as A4 and the like in spite of the fact that my printer is setup for letter. Acroread generally does that correctly where others might not.

#639 2010-04-08 17:41:20

MindTooth

How to list only the AUR packages?

#640 2010-04-08 19:04:30

SanskritFritz
Website

bauerbill -Ss * | grep AUR/

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#641 2010-04-09 13:19:12

Primoz

I have a strange problem. I'm using kernel26-ck from AUR and when bauerbill is downloading sources and patches it always fails to download autoiso-xorg.patch (http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/autoiso-xorg.patch)
I tried few times with yaourt, and at first it didn't work, but now it works.
But bauerbill never could download it.
My best guess is, that autoiso-xorg is to small patch and aria2c breaks it, or something...

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#642 2010-04-09 13:46:00

MindTooth

SanskritFritz wrote:

bauerbill -Ss * | grep AUR/

It doesn't solve anything for me sad

#643 2010-04-09 14:04:31

SanskritFritz
Website

MindTooth wrote:

What do you mean?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#644 2010-04-10 18:49:30

Runiq

It seems to me that the --pacman-config isn't handed over to pacman correctly. I tried updating the package database of an i686 chroot (from the "outer" x86_64 environment) and was using a modified pacman.conf file for that (under /opt/arch32/pacman.conf, as in the wiki article).

$ alias bb32
bb32='bauerbill --root /opt/arch32 --cachedir /opt/arch32/var/cache/pacman/pkg --pacman-config /opt/arch32/pacman.conf'

# bb32 -Syu
Rebasing…
(Updates stuff)
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman --root /opt/arch32 --cachedir /opt/arch32/var/cache/pacman/pkg -S -u

As you can see in the last line, pacman doesn't get the "--config /opt/arch32/pacman.conf" option that it should. So, updating the package database with this bb32 command leaves me with x86_64 packages. The mirrorlists referenced in my /opt/arch32/pacman.conf are pointing towards i686 mirrors alright, and a pacman32 -Syu (which has basically the same options as bb32, except for --config instead of --pacman-config, of course) gives me the right i686 package database.

Last edited by Runiq (2010-04-10 18:50:40)

#645 2010-04-10 19:25:38

MindTooth

SanskritFritz wrote:
MindTooth wrote:

What do you mean?

As in it didn't solve anything for me. I still can't get an output of packages installed from AUR. Thanks for your attempt smile

#646 2010-04-10 21:22:38

smradlev

The memory problem is back. Bauerbill just consumed 2.4 GB of RAM when doing my daily -Syu --aur. Without AUR turned, it consumes little, as before. I have not touched any of the settings for ~ a month now, and I don't think the bug was there a couple of days ago.

I have 4GB of RAM, so right now it is not too much of a problem for me, but it is somewhat annoying. So, if you have the time, I'd be glad if you look into this, Xyne.

Thanks again for the great tool!

#647 2010-04-11 06:12:58

SanskritFritz
Website

MindTooth
For me it lists all available AUR packages.

#648 2010-04-11 11:51:34

MindTooth

My bad, I did not clarify myself enough. List installed AUR packages was what I ment tongue
Also, doesn't Bauerbill support rebase, it keep switching to pacman?

#649 2010-04-11 22:34:13

SanskritFritz
Website

Interesting. I tried
bauerbill -Ss * | grep 'AUR/.*(installed)'
but this lists only 4 packages (I have lots more), while
bauerbill -Ss kernel | grep 'AUR/.*(installed)'
lists this:
AUR/kernel26-ck 2.6.33.2-1 (installed)
AUR/kernel26-zen 2.6.33-1 (installed)
AUR/nvidia-ck 195.36.15-1 (installed)

I cant find any explanation to this.

#650 2010-04-12 10:42:35

MindTooth

Displays nothing tongue Ohh well, it doesn't matter anyway. Though it would be good to display what packages where installed from AUR.

Board footer