You are not logged in.

#651 2010-04-12 19:09:28

SanskritFritz
Website

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

What I proposed should do it, I dont know what the problem is.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#652 2010-04-12 20:07:14

Kiwi

-Qm shows 'foreign' packages, which are most likely from AUR. If that shows nothing, is it possible you actually do not have anything installed from AUR?

#653 2010-04-13 08:57:14

MindTooth

That worked like a charm wink Thank you both...

Ed1t: Added it to a new Bauerbill page on the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bauerbill

Last edited by MindTooth (2010-04-13 09:00:25)

#654 2010-04-13 09:23:11

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Sorry, I haven't checked the forum in a while. I must have checked the thread when I received a notification for norswap's post but I didn't log in so I haven't received any other notifications since then.

@pogeymanz & gogi-goji
I don't know why the download fails but it seems to be a problem with aria2c. Saving the metalink and running aria2c directly results in an empty file and leftover .aria2 file. Passing aria2c the URL by itself does the same, but adding the '-s 1" option results in a successful download, even though the metalink specifies a single connection.

I would recommend reporting the issue upstream to the aria2 dev. In the meantime, just ignore the failed download and continue with the installation. The patch should get downloaded by makepkg at the build step.

@jowilkin
That information isn't included in the data returned by the AUR's JSON interface. Until the PKGBUILD has been downloaded, there is no way to know (programmatically) whether the package is available for the given architecture.

I've added an extra check after the PKGBUILD is parsed to display a warning and skip packages which can't be built. That should prevent pointless downloads.

@Runiq
It should invoke pacman with "--config" now. Let me know if it works.

@smradlev
The memory problem never went away. It's an intrinsic problem with the way Perl handles threads (duplication of all data stored in memory per thread). I have a solution but I don't have the time to implement it right now.

@MindTooth
"bauerbill -Qm" and "pacman -Qm" will show all installed foreign packages (packages which are not available in any repo). SanskritFritz's suggestion doesn't work because the AUR search interface requires at least a 2-character search string, i.e. you can't list all AUR packages with a single search.

The following works though:

bauerbill -Ss --aur $(pacman -Qm) | grep 'AUR/' | grep installed

You can replace "pacman" with "bauerbill" but there is no reason to do so.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#655 2010-04-13 14:15:41

MindTooth

Thank you for the clarification, Xyne smile I hope I didn't screw up your wiki page (since to removed so much tongue )...

#656 2010-04-14 13:59:19

jcci

Wonderful!!!

#657 2010-04-15 20:09:29

bfo

Is there a way to prevent bauerbill from overwriting PKGBUILD for packages from AUR? I'll explain: say I want to update kadu-git, while the directory structure already exists (*/build/aur/kadu-git/). I change the command in PKGBUILD from "git clone ${_gitroot} -b 0.6.5.x" to "git clone ${_gitroot} -b master" manually and save the file afterwards. When I want to update the package by issuing

# bauerbill -S kadu-git

PKGBUILD is overwritten and "-b master" becomes "-b 0.6.5.x" again as it is in AUR. I hope I explained everything sufficiently.

#658 2010-04-16 06:03:14

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@bfo
Use the PatchDir option. When you get to the PKGBUILD prompt, do the following:

* back up the original
* edit the PKGBUILD
* diff the PKGBUILD

The next time you update the package, you will be able to patch it from the prompt. You can even add the package to the Autopatch list in the config file so that you don't have to think about it.

Does that do what you want?

Last edited by Xyne (2010-04-16 08:56:01)

#659 2010-04-16 07:23:37

SanskritFritz
Website

This is... I'm speachless, bauerbill is the best, really. Thank you Xyne, great work!

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#660 2010-04-16 15:29:08

bfo

Xyne wrote:

(snip)
Does that do what you want?

Yes, that's exactly what I want. Thanks a lot.

#661 2010-04-16 19:09:28

Runiq

Xyne wrote:

@Runiq
It should invoke pacman with "--config" now. Let me know if it works.

Yep, it works now. Thank you, Xyne!

#662 2010-04-20 12:23:30

MindTooth

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bauerbill

Someone care to maybe explain a bit more about the new commands added?

Ed1t: One feature I missed right now, is that Bauerbill could rebuild every AUR package from source. Since a lot of the packages are git based. Or can this be achieved from a command?

Last edited by MindTooth (2010-04-20 12:31:04)

#663 2010-04-20 13:02:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I've removed those aliases because they were too system-specific and lacked meaningful descriptions. Adding aliases to the wiki page is a bad idea too because we may end up with a page full of overlapping aliases that casual users may unwittingly use. Command examples with descriptions are fine, but aliases should be avoided.

Explicit developmental packages can be rebuilt with  '--devel", e.g. "bauerbill -S --aur --devel". For non-explicit package I would just create a simple list and then run "bauerbill -S --aur $(cat /path/to/list)". There's no reason to rebuild all AUR packages just to update some.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-04-20 13:02:42)

#664 2010-04-20 13:06:08

flamelab

Question: is it possible that the core/extra/community etc databases (core.db.tar.gz etc) are downloaded simultaneously ?

#665 2010-04-20 13:11:18

MindTooth

Thanks for the clarification smile

Ed1t: Added a bit more under usage. No commands though.

Last edited by MindTooth (2010-04-20 13:17:40)

#666 2010-04-20 14:08:52

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@flamelab
They are downloaded simultaneously when using the "Rebase" option. If you don't use that option then the download is handled by Pacman.

#667 2010-04-21 01:37:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

@flamelab
They are downloaded simultaneously when using the "Rebase" option. If you don't use that option then the download is handled by Pacman.

Installing rebase and uncommenting 'rebase' in bauerbill.conf just gives me permission denied errors, do I then have to run bauerbill as root?

Not a security issue (for me), your packages get plenty of root priviledges already. Just a laziness (I have to type sudo AGAIN?) issue.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#668 2010-04-21 03:01:27

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Yes,  Rebase requires write permissions to the database.

#669 2010-04-22 11:29:38

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Found something kind of weird, upgrading moc-devel through bauerbill fails at downloading... but running makepkg with the PKGBUILD downloads it just fine.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#670 2010-04-22 13:23:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

Yes,  Rebase requires write permissions to the database.

Possible for it to call sudo? Though I think I remember reading in this thread before that its too troublesome.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#671 2010-04-22 18:02:28

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Zeist
Please read the info page. This has been covered there and several times in this thread. It's a limitation of the PKGBUILD parser. Just ignore the download error and let makepkg handle the download if you don't want to fix it at the PKGBUILD prompt.

@ngoonee
Yeah, that has been discussed before too. Rebase is an internal module, not an external application, so the only way to invoke it with sudo would be for bauerbill to call itself with sudo, which is equivalent to guessing what the user wanted.

#672 2010-04-22 22:30:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@Xyne, I guess that makes sense. In these 2 days, I've twice run 'sudo bauerbill -Syu --aur' with Rebase enabled to show 'no updates', then immediately followed with 'sudo rebase' and 'bauerbill -Syu --aur' with Rebase disabled to find I had one or two packages updated. Any way to check out whether rebase is actually running?

#673 2010-04-22 23:11:36

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Create an empty directory then run "bauerbill -b /path/to/empty/directory -Sy". If you find database files in the directory afterwards, then it works.

#674 2010-04-22 23:22:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah, that shows the problem.

$ ls ~/temp/testbauerbill/sync
xyne-any

Its only syncing one repo. However when I do

$ rebase -b ~/temp/testbauerbill

I get all the dbs.

$ ls ~/temp/testbauerbill/sync
community  community-testing  core  extra  testing  xyne-any

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-04-22 23:25:00)

#675 2010-04-22 23:54:35

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Are you getting errors? It's the same code so if one works then so should the other.

Board footer