Website

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

Fixed, thanks.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#202 2010-01-20 18:19:13

MAroco

Hi Xyne,
just discovered and installed bauerbill yesterday, so fiddeled around with it today and found a suggestion :-)

"bauerbill -Qu" today gave me "coreutils 8.2-1 -> 8.4-1"
Trying to install it with "sudo bauerbill -Syu" gave me V 8.2...
Another "sudo bauerbill -Syu" after "sudo rebase" still reinstalls 8.2

That stunned me, so I decided to look deeper...
As far as I understood from this forum bauerbill doesn't use abs directly but "core.abs.tar.gz" and the likes. Well I had a look at that file and it still contains the coreutils 8.2.

Hm so how comes bauerbill -Qu reports V 8.4 as available??
--> I looked at ftp.archlinux.org and found there is another file called "core.db.tar.gz" that contains the 8.4 Version.

It seems bauerbill doesn't know/look in this one.
I guess the behaviour described above will go away as soon as recent changes make it into the "core.abs.tar.gz" but perhaps there is a way to make bauerbill look in core.db.tar.gz as well to avoid the confusion at all?

Just an idea...
Big big THANKS for the bunch of work you put into this program and +1 for the beer, lunch etc. offerings if you happen to be near Frankfurt, Germany :-)

EDIT: Just discovered "pacman -Syu" on the other hand will install 8.4...??

Last edited by MAroco (2010-01-20 18:24:40)

#203 2010-01-20 19:08:47

jowilkin

Xyne wrote:

@jowilkin
That should be fixed now, although I have no idea how your umask could be completely undefined. I've added an extra check nevertheless.

I've also added a short FAQ to the info page and mentioned it in the OP.

Doesn't seem to be fixed for me.  My umask is defined as far as I can tell.

> bauerbill -Qs xyne
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman -Q -s xyne
local/perl-xyne-arch 1.0.44-1
    Xyne's Arch-specific Perl modules.
local/perl-xyne-common 1.0.7-1
    Xyne's common Perl modules.

> bauerbill -Qs bauerbill
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman -Q -s bauerbill
local/bauerbill 0.1.1-1
    A Powerpill extension with AUR and ABS support, among other things.

> umask

> sudo bauerbill -Syu --aur
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 xyne-any                   5.4K   59.0K/s 00:00:00 [----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 community-testing is up to date
 community is up to date
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...
--> Loading AUR taurball data...
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise and (&) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2179.
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise or (|) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2185.
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise and (&) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2179.
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise or (|) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2185.
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/bin32-skype/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]

#204 2010-01-20 19:14:51

jowilkin

Seem to be having another issue, not sure if it is related to my previous one.  bauerbill is not finding a dependency that exists in community (and is already installed on my system) when trying to install from the AUR.

> sudo bauerbill -Syu --aur
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 xyne-any is up to date
 community-testing is up to date
 community is up to date
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/bin32-skype/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  ok
--> an associated install file was found for bin32-skype: /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/bin32-skype/skype.install
warning: unresolved dependencies: bin32-skype ->  lib32-pcre (not found)
:: Do you want to ignore the above packages for this operation? [Y/n] y
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman -S -u
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: cmake: ignoring package upgrade (2.6.4-3 => 2.8.0-1)
 local database is up to date

> bauerbill -Ss --aur lib32-pcre
community/lib32-pcre 8.00-1 (lib32)
    A library that implements Perl 5-style regular expressions

Last edited by jowilkin (2010-01-20 19:19:00)

#205 2010-01-20 19:57:51

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@MAroco
Bauerbill uses the sync database to determine available upgrades, which is why it detects coreutils 8.4 (which is what Pacman does). core.abs.tar.gz should contain the PKGBUILD and local source files for coreutils 8.4 but maybe it's out of sync or someone made a mistake. I really don't know how those files are generated but I would expect them to be handled by scripts automatically and thus always be in sync.

I don't consider this a bauerbill error though because the output of "-Qu" is accurate and bauerbill doesn't die horribly because of the missing 8.4 PKGBUILD. I suggest reporting this as a bug on the bug tracker to sync core.abs.tar.gz.

@jowilkin
Sorry, for some reason I had thought it was "$umask" that was the problem and so that's what I "fixed". I don't know why "$mode" isn't set but I've added a check for that now too.

The problem with lib32-pcre is that the bin32-skype PKGBUILD specifies the dependency as ' lib32-pcre' (notice the leading space). Tell the maintainer to fix this and use "[e]" to fix this in the meantime. You could even enable the PatchDir and create a patch at the prompt for future use. wink

#206 2010-01-20 21:41:18

MAroco

Hi again,
wow that was *really* fast, thanks :-)
I agree, it's absolutely NOT bauerbills fault if core.abs.tar.gz is out of sync!
It's not a major problem either. Waiting a day will probably automagically solve it.

Just thought you might perhaps want to put in additional checks for the contents of *.db.tar.gz-files to override *abs.tar.gz-contents to catch such "non-sync-cases", since from what I read bauerbill already seems to be very clever in working around other peoples faults :-)

I should point out that I only *guess* that recent changes are always stored in *.db.tar.gz-files and those get synced to the *abs.tar.gz on a regular (daily?) basis. No idea how to confirm that...

The file-format in *.db.tar.gz to mee seemed to be the same as *.abs.tar.gz so I guess it would be relatively easy to implement - I'm by no means a programmer though so I can't judge.

Anyway, didn't want to pester you, quite the contrary - GREAT WORK!!!
Thanks for your time :-)

#207 2010-01-21 09:45:04

BertiBoeller

Hello,
I really like the idea of the program: I have the following problem though: when I try to install dhclient it tells me, that it cant find the package in extra. dhclient is included in the dhcp package (split package). Does powerpill/bauerbill include split package support?

Here's the command line I've used: sudo bauerbill --rebase --abs --build-as me --aur --trust-abs -Sy dhclient

The following also doesn't work for me: sudo bauerbill --abs --build-as `id -un` --aur --trust-abs -S testing/gtk2
Result is:

error: could not find PKGBUILD for testing/gtk2 in /tmp/bauerbill/taurballs/testing.abs.tar.gz

Am I overlooking something?

Last edited by BertiBoeller (2010-01-21 11:02:53)

#208 2010-01-21 11:20:43

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

It does support split packages but the dhcp/dhclient does not follow a standard naming convention ($pkgbase-$pkgname) so Bauerbill fails to detect it.

I'm going to send an email to the pacman-dev list to see if there's any way to address this issue as it's beyond my control. Split packages are an ugly, lazy hack that move pacman even further away from any reasonable standard of encapsulating package metadata and this makes it very difficult to write tools to work with such data.

#209 2010-01-21 20:24:08

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Bauerbill should now be able to detect the correct PKGBUILD for all split packages. Unfortunately, extra.abs.tar.gz is missing one of the patches for the dhcp PKGBUILD (which is what dhclient uses), but that's out of my hands.

#210 2010-01-21 20:25:38

sausageandeggs

Hi Xyne, great program but i'm getting a similar problem to above.

[sas@simon ~]$ bauerbill -Syu --abs
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/initscripts-extras-fbsplash/PKGBUILD
--> an associated install file was found for initscripts-extras-fbsplash: /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/initscripts-extras-fbsplash/initscripts-extras-fbsplash.install
--> Loading ABS taurball data...
--> Checking for abs archive updates for the following repos: [core] [extra]
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bit........ (continues repeating for about 100 odd lines) 
                                                         ......(|) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2185.
--> sourcing /tmp/bauerbill/build/extra/git/PKGBUILD (trusted ABS)
--> sourcing /tmp/bauerbill/build/extra/whois/PKGBUILD (trusted ABS)
--> sourcing /tmp/bauerbill/build/extra/twisted/PKGBUILD (trusted ABS)
--> sourcing /tmp/bauerbill/build/core/coreutils/PKGBUILD (trusted ABS)
--> detected SRCDEST in /etc/makepkg.conf
--> detected PKGDEST in /etc/makepkg.conf
--> Determining sizes of source files...

:: The following sources will be downloaded:
   whois:
     http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/whois/whois_5.0.0.tar.gz [0.08 MB]
   git:
     http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-1.6.6.1.tar.bz2 [2.33 MB]
     http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-manpages-1.6.6.1.tar.bz2 [0.26 MB]
   coreutils:
     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.4.tar.gz [10.52 MB]
   twisted:
     http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/${pkgver%.*}/Twisted-9.0.0.tar.bz2 [N/A]

:: Number of Sources:                        5
:: Total Download Size:             >=13.19 MB

#211 2010-01-21 20:33:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@sausageandeggs
What version of perl-xyne-arch are you using? That should be fixed in the latest version (1.0.45).

#212 2010-01-21 20:41:24

sausageandeggs

Ok thanks, just checked, and i only have 1.0.44-1. strange though as i have your repo in pacman.conf (at the top).
Thanx xyne.

Edit just ran pacman --S perl-xyne-arch and it upgraded, and bauerbill ran fine. I've not long installed rebase so i must have set that wrongly. Thanx for the quick reply!

Last edited by sausageandeggs (2010-01-21 20:47:07)

#213 2010-01-22 11:20:00

BertiBoeller

Thanks for the info. I really like your program. It seems to be the only program out there which supports split packages and building from abs (I think chakra supports building from abs, but doesn't support split packages as well as yaourt).

#214 2010-01-23 01:52:40

gonX

Xyne wrote:
gonX wrote:

I also get the uninitalized variable using the latest version of whatever from your repos.

Please post the error output. There are thousands upon thousands of variables in the code, spread across multiple modules... there is not way for me to debug that without knowing which variable and where.

Looks like I'm not getting it any more after a reboot, but it was as the same lines as the others had it.

Xyne wrote:
gonX wrote:

It would be really cool if you could add --noconfirm on AUR. When you do it'll be a definite replacement for yaourt for me.

That will never happen because it is a major security issue. Look at the "TrustedUsers" option though, which will let you bypass the inspection for users that you trust. I'll add that to the FAQ too.

So you'll much rather force your security onto others? Might as well use Windows then... I've yet to see a package that has been malicious for the +4 months I've used the AUR. I only just recently thought "fuck it" and started using --noconfirm. For an update you can pretty much already trust the users which you have installed packages from - so at least being able to use --noconfirm for upgrading packages would be a decent solution.

A temporary fix for me would be running "yes ok | bauerbill -Syu", but that's fairly silly considering coding-wise it's not that difficult to implement. I'm not looking to edit your code as it is still obviously still being maintained.

The TrustedUsers option is great, and is very good security-wise compared to --noconfirm, but it's unfortunately not really what I'm looking for.

since 2009

#215 2010-01-23 02:16:57

moose jaw

Bauerbill: Wonderful, fantastic, exactly what I've been looking for.  Thank you, Xyne!

#216 2010-01-23 09:34:06

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

gonX wrote:

So you'll much rather force your security onto others? Might as well use Windows then... I've yet to see a package that has been malicious for the +4 months I've used the AUR. I only just recently thought "fuck it" and started using --noconfirm. For an update you can pretty much already trust the users which you have installed packages from - so at least being able to use --noconfirm for upgrading packages would be a decent solution.

A temporary fix for me would be running "yes ok | bauerbill -Syu", but that's fairly silly considering coding-wise it's not that difficult to implement. I'm not looking to edit your code as it is still obviously still being maintained.

The TrustedUsers option is great, and is very good security-wise compared to --noconfirm, but it's unfortunately not really what I'm looking for.

I'm not forcing anything. It's open source and you can easily change it yourself. I doubt that you even need to know Perl to do it. If you really can't figure it out, I can post a patch for you, but don't blame me for whatever goes wrong.

The observations of a single person over a period of "+4 months" is quite far from a statistically significant sample. The truth is that harmful code can make it in, either through ineptitude or malicious intent. This is why the AUR server does not source the PKGBUILDs and why an AUR front-end is not allowed in the official repos.

I will not make it even easier for a simple slip on the command line (e.g. a typo) to destroy the system. I agree that it's unlikely, but the possibility exists. I also don't want to encourage users to completely disregard the potential danger of running and installing code from unknown sources. As Arch continues to attract new users, it will eventually be targeted by malicious users too. I can think of a few ways in which one could corrupt a popular package on the AUR to affect the most users at once. Not worrying about something because it hasn't happened yet is the kind of thinking that leads to catastrophes of varying scale (why invest in levies? we've never been flooded).

I really think the TrustedUsers option should be enough. Using installed packages as a critierion for trust does not take into account that packages can be orphaned and adopted by others, or that one could upload a package to the AUR to usurp a local foreign package (e.g. you've installed "foo" locally, then someone uploads "foo" to the AUR and then local "foo" gets updated from the AUR).

Exercising basic caution out of habit is hardly exigent and you can bypass it if you really want to. You should really ask yourself though if adding a few names to the config is really that much of a hassle.

#217 2010-01-23 10:56:17

kaivalagi

Hi Xyne,

Tried using bauerbill for a system update this morning and hit issues with file permissions both without and then with sudo

I've pasted the entire console output below:

[mark@towerpc1 ~]$ bauerbill -Syu --aur
Password: 
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core                      36.0K  290.8K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
 extra                    441.9K  980.7K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
 xyne-any                   5.4K   29.0K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
 compiz-fusion is up to date
 community                370.7K  904.5K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/google-chrome-dev/PKGBUILD
--> an associated install file was found for google-chrome-dev: /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/google-chrome-dev/google-chrome-dev.install
--> Reflecting... retrieved 45 mirrors.
:: The following packages will be downloaded:
   [core]
     kernel26 [31.51 MB] kernel26-firmware [1.07 MB]
     kernel26-headers [5.26 MB]
   [extra]
     purple-plugin-pack [0.37 MB]
     transmission-cli [0.86 MB]

:: Number of Packages:                       5
:: Total Download Size:               39.07 MB
:: Binary Package Install Size:      138.32 MB

:: Proceed with download? [Y/n] y
reflector stuff, not error output
error: unable to open /var/log/powerpill.log (Permission denied) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Common/Log.pm line 95, <GEN14> line 64.

[mark@towerpc1 ~]$ sudo bauerbill -Syu --aur
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 xyne-any is up to date
 compiz-fusion is up to date
 community is up to date
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/google-chrome-dev/PKGBUILD
--> an associated install file was found for google-chrome-dev: /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/google-chrome-dev/google-chrome-dev.install
:: The following packages will be downloaded:
   [extra]
     transmission-cli [0.86 MB]

:: Number of Packages:                       1
:: Total Download Size:                0.86 MB
:: Binary Package Install Size:        2.04 MB

:: Proceed with download? [Y/n] y
[#1 SIZE:512.0KiB/840.2KiB(60%) CN:1 SPD:363.7KiBs]error: unable to open /var/log/powerpill.log (Permission denied) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Common/Log.pm line 95, <GEN14> line 29.

Last edited by kaivalagi (2010-01-23 10:57:10)

Running Arch 64 (Made the switch to Arch 10/2009)
AUR | BZR

#218 2010-01-23 11:29:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

It should work now with perl-xyne-arch 1.0.46 and perl-xyne-common 1.0.8. Let me know if it does.

#219 2010-01-23 13:08:24

kaivalagi

Xyne wrote:

It should work now with perl-xyne-arch 1.0.46 and perl-xyne-common 1.0.8. Let me know if it does.

Thanks

I just updated the perl packages and the bauerbill based full update works just fine, aur updates were picked up and all is well smile

Did you just update the perl packages or did I just need to update them via pacman first?

Thanks again

Last edited by kaivalagi (2010-01-23 13:09:22)

AUR | BZR

#220 2010-01-23 13:17:41

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I updated the packages.

#221 2010-01-23 13:18:51

Meyithi
Website

Since last update neutral

[meyithi@158NET ~]$ sudo bauerbill -Syyu
--> Rebasing...
--> updated [core] +0 ^0 -0

--> updated [extra] +0 ^0 -0

--> updated [xyne-any] +0 ^0 -0

--> updated [community] +0 ^0 -0

error: failed to unlock database (Permission denied)
[meyithi@158NET ~]$ su - root
Password: 
[root@158NET ~]# sudo pacman -Syyu
error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
[root@158NET ~]#

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#222 2010-01-23 13:22:05

kaivalagi

Xyne wrote:

I updated the packages.

In that case thanks for the quick update smile

AUR | BZR

#223 2010-01-23 13:24:30

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Which version of perl-xyne-arch are you using? I can't reproduce this with the latest version. What are the permissions on the lock file?

#224 2010-01-23 13:28:42

Meyithi
Website

[meyithi@158NET ~]$ pacman -Qs perl-xyne-arch
local/perl-xyne-arch 1.0.46-1
    Xyne's Arch-specific Perl modules.
[meyithi@158NET ~]$ cat /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
cat: /var/lib/pacman/db.lck: No such file or directory
[meyithi@158NET ~]$ sudo bauerbill -Syyu
--> Rebasing...
--> updated [core] +0 ^0 -0

--> updated [extra] +0 ^0 -0

--> updated [xyne-any] +0 ^0 -0

--> updated [community] +0 ^0 -0

error: failed to unlock database (Permission denied)
[meyithi@158NET ~]$ su - root
Password: 
[root@158NET ~]# ls -l /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 23 13:26 /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#225 2010-01-23 14:04:57

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Does it work as expected with powerpill? What about when run as root directly (i.e. not with sudo)?

I'm staring at the code but just can't see how it can create the file then not have permission to remove it.

Board footer