You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-07 04:33:15

voyciz

Not bad

Just started playin around with Arch yesterday and installed it on my desktop. I'm used to Slackware, but I figured it would be a good way to learn some stuff and try something new. I'd have to say that so far I really like it. I'm liking how the init scripts are set up, and loving the minimalism. I'm going to have to get used to the PKGBUILD thing though, seems pretty odd. Right now I've got Slack on the laptop and Arch on my stationary, but I think I'm going to switch that around, just feels a little backwards to me for some reason.

If anybody has any tips or gotchas they could point out to me, I'd really appreciate it.

#2 2010-01-07 05:20:27

sHyLoCk

Re: Not bad

Hey voyciz, fellow slacker, good to see ya here! It is a trend of slackers to try out Arch. I've seen many LQ guys here in Arch forums lately. big_smile Anyway, slackers will definitely love Arch since both have similar KISS design and philosophy. The only tip I can think of is the wiki. Arch has the best wiki! Thanks to he contribution of our wonderful members. smile If you don't find anything in the wiki [it's unlikely], then the forum will help you out. I also have Arch on my laptop and Slack and CentOS on my desktop. Arch also fits easily in my USB drive. ;-)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2010-01-07 13:16:12

voyciz

Hey shylock, thanks for the greeting. You know one of the things that made me want to try it is when you posted your 10 second boot time heh. Figured I better sign up here because the Arch forum's dead over at LQ, and lord knows I'll need help. Wiki looks pretty well put together, thanks for the tip. Ya know that' s a good idea, I got this old ipod shuffle I could install it on as well, just might come in handy.

#4 2010-01-07 15:12:41

perbh

*lol* Let me join the fray! Slackware for servers, CentOS (just because I _have to_) and Arch for anything else! I'm an ardent updater (once-a-day anyone?), but that has never (well, once or twice over a 5-year period) been a show-stopper.
Guaranteed - you're gonna love arch! IMHO, pacman is the best of its kind - ever!

#5 2010-01-07 15:31:02

pixellany

voyciz wrote:

........ gotchas they could point out to me, I'd really appreciate it.

The only "gotcha" is that you have to remember to install/configure all manner of things.  Arch basically starts with NOTHING--no sound, no media tools, no NTP, no frequency scaling-----no nothing!!!  This is probably what stopped me from fully converting many years ago.

I think what finally did it is the realization that---no matter what distro I installed, there was always some stupid little thing that I had to track down.  So--back to Arch where tracking down stupid little things is a way of life---BUT is well-documented....;)

One specific that just bit me:  Always upgrade when installing new SW.  To me, this is counter-intuitive.  Further, I have very often NOT done this and gotten away with it.

"It's always something." --Gilda Radner, 1946 - 1989

Board footer