You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-09 11:46:41

MrAllan

Clamshell mode

Hi,

I got a MacBook Pro 5,5. I'd like enable clamshell mode in Linux like it works under Mac OS X: When you close the lid with an external monitor attached to the computer, the laptop's screen will be powered off and the external monitor becomes the primary monitor.
Is there any way to do this under Linux?

Thanks for any help!

- MrAllan

#2 2010-01-09 11:54:27

ArchArael

Re: Clamshell mode

You can do the same thing with xrandr without closing the lid. Besides, closing the lid is not a good practice because it can overheat your machine. Part of the heat goes out through the keyboard aperture.

#3 2010-01-09 13:15:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

acpi should be able to help you. Have a look at /etc/acpi/handler.sh, trigger a script when the lid closes.

#4 2010-08-04 06:45:41

jetkid

ArchArael wrote:

You can do the same thing with xrandr without closing the lid. Besides, closing the lid is not a good practice because it can overheat your machine. Part of the heat goes out through the keyboard aperture.

Thank you. That was exactly what I needed.

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --auto

#5 2010-08-04 10:49:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

jetkid wrote:
ArchArael wrote:

Thank you. That was exactly what I needed.

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --auto

No real need to bump an oldish thread just to say thanks. That code can be found on almost any wiki dealing with XOrg.

Not to discourage you from thanking people or posting help, but in this case was just a bit unnecessary.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer