You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-10 15:55:54

hysy

Gdm crash with KMS off, no hardware rendering with KMS on

Hi,

Another fresh ati hater here. After the last kernel update my system started crashing at login with gdm. The symptom in detail is that when gdm is supposed to start the screen just stays black, although mouse cursor is there and moveable. Also there's nothing in the logs telling that something went wrong... I can swich to tty1 and do stuff there, but if I change back to gdm, the system freezes totally.

Then I tried to turn on the modesetting and suprisingly everything started working. But now the problem is that during the boot the system stops for a 20 seconds to look for RV635_pfp.bin firmware file...which isn't found and apparently that causes the system to switch back to software rasterizer...which is not cool at all. I'm using the kernel from the core and git versions of libdrm, mesa and the ati driver.

I have a radeon 3650 AGP card and athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I haven't found anyone else reporting that KMS actually has to be turned on for the system to work. So is there anyone having the same problems?? And has anyone managed to solve the problem with the missing firmware? I've found a bunch of posts about the issue but no solution...

Board footer