You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-11 21:03:24

herrvideman

[Solved] Amarok won't play music

First off I think I've finally found the Linux distro I'm happy with (and I've tried many of them). EXCELLENT distro.

But back to the reason for this post; I recently installed Arch with KDE4 (vanilla) and everything works no problem except for Amarok. Amarok opens and runs completely fine except for the fact that it won't actually play any music. The sound on any other program works perfectly so its not a general sound issue. The same mp3 files that won't play in Amarok WILL play in VLC so I'm guessing it's not a codec problem either.

I've searched for an answer around the internet and this forum and nothing helped. I tried messing around with the devices and backends (xine and Gstreamer) and nothing. Also of note is when i click "Test" in the Amarok sound configuration to test the hardware it works.

So I click on a song in Amarok to play and it just won't. Any ideas?

Last edited by herrvideman (2010-01-11 22:11:10)

#2 2010-01-11 21:31:10

Primoz

Re: [Solved] Amarok won't play music

Do you use core or testing Amarok? I use testing Amarok and it works.

Also a really stupid question, but still. Have you checked that Amarok isn't somehow set on mute?
(maybe it's the problem with phonon, but still if test works it shows that it actually isn't the problem in it, so it has to be Amarok)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2010-01-11 21:45:01

herrvideman

I'm using core Amarok (ver 2.2.1). It is not on mute (not a dumb question as I didn't think to look until you suggested checking).

Specifically let's say I put a few songs in a playlist and try to play the first one; it will try to play it, realize it can't, and skip to the next one... (happens in a fraction of a second).

I'm willing to try testing if it works for you, but if I add the testing repository and try to upgrade will pacman know to install Amarok from testing instead of from core?

#4 2010-01-11 22:10:19

herrvideman

Upgraded to Amarok testing version (2.2.1.90) and switched the backend to xine (I guess Gstreamer was buggy with Amarok) and it now works.

Thanks for the help!

#5 2010-01-11 22:15:33

Primoz

herrvideman wrote:

Upgraded to Amarok testing version (2.2.1.90) and switched the backend to xine (I guess Gstreamer was buggy with Amarok) and it now works.

Thanks for the help!

Yes it will. You only need to add testing and community-testing and when you'll update it will update amarok to. Or if you don't want to use testing daily just do

pacman -Sy amarok

And disable testing after it.
It should work.
PS.: oh didn't see your post there big_smile

Last edited by Primoz (2010-01-11 22:16:46)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#6 2010-07-28 16:52:00

Xion

I'm having the same problem on Amarok 2.3.1-1.  I'm not sure if I'm using gstreamer or xine as a backend. 

How can I check and switch the backend to xine ?

#7 2010-07-28 17:33:17

Varg

Xion wrote:

I'm having the same problem on Amarok 2.3.1-1.  I'm not sure if I'm using gstreamer or xine as a backend. 

How can I check and switch the backend to xine ?

In Amarok go to settings > configure amarok > playback > configure phonon
Then in the Backend tab you can select Xine ( when it is installed ).

Board footer