You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-12 03:04:35

colbert

Help with system (/) backup using rdiff-backup

I am trying to make a backup of / using rdiff-backup, and am running into an error. Output is big so here is the error:

http://pastebin.ca/1747782

Here is my command + excludes/includes text file:

rdiff-backup -v5 --exclude-filelist /home/bobby/scripts/backup/excludesforrdiffrootbackup / /media/stuff/backup/dabox/root

- /srv/nfs4
- /var/tmp
- /home
- /media
- /var/cache/pacman
- /lost+found
- /var/backup
- /mnt
- /usr/man
- /var/abs
- /var/lib/nfs
- /dev/*
- /proc/*
- /sys/*
- /tmp/*
- *lost+found

+ /dev/console
+ /dev/initctl
+ /dev/null
+ /dev/zero

Also, question: to backup root, do I need to run the rdiff-backup cmd as root? "sudo rdiff-backup etc" ?? Also, the folder I am backup up to (/media/stuff/backup/dabox/root), does that need to have special permission and/or ownership? Currently it is owned by my user and has 700 permission (rdiff-backup changed it during the backup run, it was default 755 before.)

Thx appreciate any help mates smile

#2 2010-01-12 03:41:09

firecat53
Website

Re: Help with system (/) backup using rdiff-backup

Here's the command I use to backup my server -- notice the include-globbing-filelist command, which is I think what you want instead of just include-filelist because of the * patterns. Check the manpage for more info.

rdiff-backup --force --include-globbing-filelist /home/firecat53/backups/scripts/server-backup-list / /mnt/backup2/server

and the server-backup-list:

/home
- /home/firecat53/ISOs
- /home/firecat53/backups/pictures
/usr/local
/etc
/var/lib/mysql
- /

If you include what you want to keep first and then exclude what you don't, you should get what you want, notice the - / at the very end.

Good luck!
Scott

Board footer