You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-12 16:54:27

Kardell

[query] RAID based on USB external hard drives

Is it possible to successfully implement this?
I'm a laptop user and I have no desktop, no fake raid on board (I think) nor RAID controller.
I'm running out of space, one 1TB Samsung is probably going down.
I'm willing to setup RAID 1 based on i.e. 2x WD 1TB MyBook Essential or RAID 5 based on 3x same hard drives.
Is it sensible to run software RAID through usb cables this way rather than cheap fake RAID enclosure with h. drives inside?
I'm asking about better and still cost-effective (home) digital storage strategy. It is not for server purpose, however often left for long hours online.
This volume would be dedicated only for Arch OS.
I know that MyBook has is own hard drive resume feature if left unused for longer - it would cause some interference with soft RAID.

Next question about reliability of hard drive manufact.?
How high can you rate Hitachi hard drives comparing to WD or Seagate?
I know that many of them 2,5'' are inside HP Pavilions and works well, Hitachi has its own external 3,5'' editions too.
Samsung hard drives sux. I taken out one from friends Pavilion - failing hard drive. Mine external Samsung is malfunctioning.:mad:

wink

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Edmund Burke

#2 2010-01-12 17:14:48

Dheart

Re: [query] RAID based on USB external hard drives

Don't know whether it's possible or not, technically it should be with two identical disks, however what's the point? The main purpose of RAID is speed. Speed which you already sacrifice because of the slower USB transfer rates. Do you really need the speed RAID has to offer? And also I think the only way to fill up one TB is with video collection, for which you don't need a speed boost...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2010-01-12 17:46:31

Kardell

I know about USB drawbacks, but more important for me is just live backup than speed boost aquired from RAID 5, so in this case would be RAID 1.
So the question is directed to someone who have tried both or is enough experienced in this topic to disqualify one or suggest better. smile

#4 2010-01-15 17:57:25

Kardell

So are there any precautions to use soft RAID on usb hard drives or better trust on fake RAID?

Board footer