You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-13 22:36:57

ben106

Installation on SD card, eee 701 -> disk access problem [Solved]

Hello,
I'm trying to install archlinux on a 4GB SD-card in an Asus eeepc701. The problem is, I can't format the card in ext2 and ext4 (didn't try other filesystems).

The problem doesn't come from the card as I can format it without problems on my other laptop (also running archlinux).

I partitionned the SD card with cfdisk : one 32MB bootable linux partition (/dev/sdc1) and one 4GB linux partition (/dev/sdc2).

When I run mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdc1, it hangs at "Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information".
When I run mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc2, it hangs at "Creating journal"
In both cases, writing inode tables is "done".

I also tried to partition and format the card with the system rescue cd (based on gentoo), same results..

Does someone have some good news for me ? Other than your pc is broken..? hmm I fear that it is really broken...

EDIT : some news.. I formatted the two partitions on my other laptop and don't reformat them during install. But then when downloading the packages, it stops downloading at glibc (so kernel-headers and tzdata are downloaded, glibc not completely, and nothing else). I saw with "watch df" that the used space on /mnt was growing while downloading, and now it is stopped at 22684kB. Tried to write something to /mnt/var (with vi), and it doesn't work (vi doesn't start, but it starts when I try to write to /root).

The reason why I'm trying to install on a SD-card is that I had similar problems with the integrated SSD (I thought the ssd was broken), so maybe the problem is not the SSD but somewhere else, like a controller..? bios..?

Last edited by ben106 (2010-01-24 09:13:01)

#2 2010-01-22 18:45:45

ben106

Re: Installation on SD card, eee 701 -> disk access problem [Solved]

The problem is solved.. In a sense.. I bought a new netbook. I really think the problem was related to the hardware.

#3 2010-01-24 01:28:11

n0dix

Re: Installation on SD card, eee 701 -> disk access problem [Solved]

Add the SOLVED tag to the title, please wink

Board footer