You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-14 00:56:24

quandary

Random wirless disconnects ?

Question:
I have problems with my wirless connection.
It works most of the time, but:
- I loose connection randomly (for example while surfing or while pacman -Syu
- ssh lags, even in the local network (one moment it works perfectly, another I have to wait 30 seconds until I get to see what I typed in the terminal)

From what I know, the problem got a lot better since the last firmware update, but the points above still suck.
From what I have realized, it seems like there is a problem with dhcp & DNS server.
If I type for example "ping google.com", i get no answer, but when I type "ping ip.of.google" then it works...

It is not a network problem, since it works fine from windows & Debian computers, and the ssh problem is neither server load nor insufficient network strength & throughput.

Is there anything I can do about this, so I won't have to install another Linux distro ?

Last edited by quandary (2010-01-14 00:57:24)

#2 2010-01-14 02:05:06

DeeCodeUh

Re: Random wirless disconnects ?

What is your wireless card model?
Just for fun, I'm going to guess it's a ralink card.

Last edited by DeeCodeUh (2010-01-14 02:06:22)

#3 2010-01-14 03:00:24

perbh

nah - my guess would be an intel-3945

#4 2010-01-14 15:54:00

quantumphaze

Try to connect manually using wpa_supplicant. This will give you more information in whether it is a low level problem with the authentication and what not.

If that works fine try to use a different DNS server. Your router will usually pass DNS over to your ISP's DNS server which can sometimes have problems. Set it to use the OpenDNS servers instead (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) which can be done in NetowrkManager or Wicd easily.

Play around with ifconfig iwlist and iwconfig, read their man pages and be careful with su(do). Some very useful information can had.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#5 2010-01-22 09:29:43

quandary

quantumphaze wrote:

Try to connect manually using wpa_supplicant. This will give you more information in whether it is a low level problem with the authentication and what not.

If that works fine try to use a different DNS server. Your router will usually pass DNS over to your ISP's DNS server which can sometimes have problems. Set it to use the OpenDNS servers instead (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) which can be done in NetowrkManager or Wicd easily.

Play around with ifconfig iwlist and iwconfig, read their man pages and be careful with su(do). Some very useful information can had.

My network is unencrypted, I don't bother to encrypt, I rather encrypt the transmission itselfs.
The wlan card is Intel 2200 BG

But I still don't see how changing the DNS server could possibly affect internal networking.
That would mean I have a problem with the dhcp server as well...
and for all I know the dhcp server works perfectly, with Linux and with Windows, and even with Android+AndroidEmulator, just not with Arch...

#6 2010-01-22 11:06:33

quantumphaze

quandary wrote:

My network is unencrypted, I don't bother to encrypt, I rather encrypt the transmission itselfs.

My god, you're a mad man!
Here in Australia this is virtually unheard of. We have monthly download quotas and the ISP will slow down the connection to 64Kb/s if we exceed them. If a neighbour uses an unencrypted network it's not borrowing but actually stealing a finite resource. But back on topic.

It sure seems like your DNS client is at fault. What network connection utility do you use?
DHCP and DNS usually go hand in hand so try dhclient instead of the default dhcpcd.

I can't help much more without more information.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#7 2010-01-23 18:50:18

quandary

quantumphaze wrote:
quandary wrote:

Here in Australia this is virtually unheard of. We have monthly download quotas and the ISP will slow down the connection to 64Kb/s if we exceed them. If a neighbour uses an unencrypted network it's not borrowing but actually stealing a finite resource. But back on topic.

It sure seems like your DNS client is at fault. What network connection utility do you use?
DHCP and DNS usually go hand in hand so try dhclient instead of the default dhcpcd.

I can't help much more without more information.

I already use dhclient, and I had dhcpcd before.
dhcpcd worked, but since an update, it stopped working...

Anyway, now I'm gonna erase arch, and install fedora instead.

PS: Maybe I'm a madman, but my neighbours are noobs, so I can afford to do so. Besides, if my network runs too slow because of an idiot in it, i still can encrypt it. But I have no faith in WEP, and almost no faith in WPA (long live aircrack-ng), so I just leave it unencrypted. And I hardly exceed download quotes, since I've stopped using torrents, I'm a hotfiler/rapidsharer (leecher actually) now.

#8 2010-01-30 19:58:37

quandary

Anyway, problem solved, pistol-whiped arch and installed Fedora.
Fedora 12 is also 686 compiled, just as bleeding-edge, but it works !

Oh, and the bootup procedure is faster, because it seems RedHat fixed the wait-until-timout error on network cards.

Last edited by quandary (2010-01-30 20:00:06)

#9 2010-02-02 12:31:05

quandary

quantumphaze wrote:

Oh, did I already say that I have a windows parition where I run windows without anti-virus program and without firewall ?

lol

Last edited by quandary (2010-02-02 12:31:26)

#10 2010-02-03 03:00:48

sdolim

Can you post the output of iwconfig, specifically the values Link Quality, Signal level, and Noise level?  (Do this both when the connection is flaking out on you, and when it seems OK.)

Board footer