You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-16 05:04:05

markjolesen

first experience -- hot/cold

In  regards to posting: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59846

My problem with it was first it took 1+ years to close it. In addition, I was a newbie with 0 experience with Arch. Furthermore, I had no problem with the admin closing it forever, except that then person did  not provide a link to the Arch solution (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo). Allan (http://bbs.archlinux.org/profile.php?id=11253) the admin probably knew it, and may have overlooked it, but he should have added the solution before closing it. In otherwords, my post was incorrect, and the solution allen provided to a newbie was a dumb link that gave him authority (reason) to close it, but  no real solution.

As for the whitespace, I had no X, and was using lynx, for which, I had little experience (damn, now I know why people don't want Adboe taking over the world with so-called internet rich experiences --- just put in plain text. I guess, that's another story...

So, can some adim correct http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59846  and add a link to the Arch solution?

Regards,
Mark J. Olesen

#2 2010-01-16 05:09:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: first experience -- hot/cold

I'm pretty sure you get an option to install sudo as part of the initial install process. I don't ever recall having to issue

pacman -S sudo

BTW - you might want to make the thread title a little more descriptive if you are looking for a specific outcome...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-01-16 05:22:34

markjolesen

yep, you do, but it is not enough, and it the point of my post was that I was wrong, and the admin should have posted the solution.

From what I get, Arch is right, sudo is not a normal part of the distro, so why choose gpasswd, and what is that?

#4 2010-01-16 05:30:07

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I suppose it hinges on what you consider a "normal part of the distro." Arch is what you make it -- and you have the option of making it with sudo or without...

#5 2010-01-16 05:48:43

markjolesen

okay, so Arch is not for the beginer, that I agree. Does that mean that a newbie to Arch can  not be a beginer who is interested in learning has to have A priori ascpect of Arch?

The point of my original post is that the admin could have simply put a link to the solution. Have you even followed my links? This is what I am getting at. Just Zap them because someone else does  not know any better... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoers

Again, I think Arch got it right by not including it. However, it is in general use. And setting it up in Arch is abiguous.

BTW: did you try following this in lynx?

Thank you for responding, it's appreciated.

#6 2010-01-16 06:11:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No, I don't have a text browser installed. I can't second guess the mod, but reading through the thread it seems that the original issue was solved. The only other point I would make is that a tacking a link to the sudo page on the wiki seems a little redundant insofar as the community's expectation is clearly that you consult the wiki before posting here...

Arch is for the competent Linux user - it says that on the front page somewhere - however, my experience is that pretty much everyone is welcomed if they are prepared to read the excellent documentation and help themselves as much as they expect others here to help them.

I'd recommend that, if you do consider the process ambiguous, you could add something to the wiki entry to clarify it. You could start by putting a note on the talk page of the entry and seeing what others think of the proposal.

#7 2010-01-16 06:17:09

Allan
Pacman
Website

"Allan the admin" probably did not care about someones problem that was more that a year old.  The reason for not posting in such old thread is that with a rolling release distro such as Arch, the problems is usually either not there anymore or all the information in the thread is no longer correct.   Also, the OP may not be still be using Arch.

#8 2010-01-16 06:42:07

markjolesen

yep, your right again, Arch is not for the beginer or interested in learning. In otherwords, that's the general  idea of Arch --- piss off if you don't now what your doing.

So, again, I say, install Arch on an old barbones PC X86 architecture, without any previous knowledge of Arch, and  no X --- don't rely on it nel to provide sevices, and see where you get I hate to ifnorm you it's noit arch, but the kernel, that is providing services to the packages that Arch installs by default.

If you don't understand anything I am saying, then I assume you have some modern computer that has the latest kernel, and just goes along with the flow...

My original post is still relevant.

Give it a try with older hardware such as a dell i ...

In addition, someone should update all wikis pertaining to hwd, it is also outdated.

Please, goto your terminal and issue hwd -X (doesn't exist).

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Try to install it,

First, install the hwd package from the AUR.

(doesn't exist)

There is the cold. Nobody, gives a crap because there system is working, and  nobody else cares to change old documentation.

Get a person who knows nothing about Arch, and nothing about *nix type sytems, and they will be lost. First thier community  doesn't even't try to understand the plight of an underprivliaged user and there beginer comunity is full of people who  already has the greatest working on thier expensive laptops.

Their answer, can't solve it---not my problem.  In other words, it works for me, too bad for you ---  your on your own.

#9 2010-01-16 07:01:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

Its a wiki.  Feel free to fix it.

#10 2010-01-16 07:22:00

markjolesen

Allan wrote:

"Allan the admin" probably did not care about someones problem that was more that a year old.  The reason for not posting in such old thread is that with a rolling release distro such as Arch, the problems is usually either not there anymore or all the information in the thread is no longer correct.   Also, the OP may not be still be using Arch.

Correct, however, "Allan the admin" did not read or care that this is a persistent problem, and did not want to post the Arch solution described in my preivous post.

Moreover, if the OP is not using Arch, then it should be passed on.So many people hate or ignore Arch because of what it is. However, it would  not be so bad if the experienced people would allow newbies to just explain the problems dealing with the distro.

When closing a link, it's a good idea to add a link to the solution in addition to why it was closed. If you don't know the solution then forward it --- no ebarsement.

BTW. what is the OP using?

Regards,
Mark J. Olesen

#11 2010-01-16 07:33:06

markjolesen

Allan wrote:

Sure thing, however, after it has been closed how do you do that?

---one of us is a total iditot.

#12 2010-01-16 07:39:02

Allan
Pacman
Website

Yes, it is you...

markjolesen wrote:

In addition, someone should update all wikis pertaining to hwd, it is also outdated.

Please, goto your terminal and issue hwd -X (doesn't exist).

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Try to install it,

First, install the hwd package from the AUR.

(doesn't exist)

There is the cold. Nobody, gives a crap because there system is working, and  nobody else cares to change old documentation.

Allan wrote:

#13 2010-01-16 08:03:59

markjolesen

I would if I could, but since it's been closed, I can not. So, can you reopen or fix?

#14 2010-01-16 08:09:16

markjolesen

Understand, the topic http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59846 has bee closed.

#15 2010-01-16 08:10:53

Allan
Pacman
Website

Read the post above yours again.  Nothing on the wiki is closed (apart from the front page).  Hence I said you could update the Xorg wiki page, just like you said is needed.

Regarding the forum post, it was closed due to violation of the forum guidelines.  It will not be reopened.  Move on.

#16 2010-01-16 08:21:18

Allan
Pacman
Website

markjolesen wrote:

... was a dumb link that gave him authority (reason) to close it, but  no real solution.

Continuing in that manner:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … _The_Staff

Closing.

Board footer