You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-17 09:56:27

Squall90

What do you think about my hd health? (Several super block errors)

Hey there,

a week ago I installed Archlinux on my computer with 2 ext4 partitions and 1 swap partition. At the second (and every following) boot time I got an error message about a bad superblock. The /-partition was the concerned partition.

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I thought the reason was a broken ext4 version or something like this so I made a new partition layout. 1 ext2 partition for /boot, 1 swap and 3 ext3 partition for /, /home and /tmp.
A few minutes ago the error message appeared again. But something is different: It doesn't appear again if I restart. (This happened with my old partition layout.)
I also noticed that my Linux is much slower than before but nothing changed... So I performed a S.M.A.R.T. check.
# smartctl --all /dev/sda outputs this informations: http://pastebin.com/f7978cdc4

I've read several how-tos about the smartmontools and according to them my hd is ok. But as you can see, the hd was online for more than 2110 hours.

What do you think? Is it still ok or should I purchase a new one?

Thanks

#2 2010-01-17 11:05:24

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: What do you think about my hd health? (Several super block errors)

You have a number of errors.  I would backup any critical info and then RMA that drive ASAP.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer