You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-17 19:55:10

Vegita

Starter script, that blocks "rememleak" and 100%cpu on 1 process

I only have one problem, that seems really sadly unsolved to me in the linux kernel. On Suse i could experience it with an older version of Konqueror, and on Arch, I could experience it with the f-prot antivirus software (it's a commadn-line(!) tool), and on Facebook's geochallenge flash application.

This catastrophical problem is: Once a program starts to fill up its RAM usage as high as it can and as fast as it can. This one's basic version is the memory leak, so after a card game (Ulti) I named it rememleak, coz it does it anything you do and you have not even time even to react (I'm an "old time's man", coz I use 2 GB swap with my 1.5GB DDR2 RAM, and hard drive will never write faster then 100MB/sec, so I have 20 secs to kill this process)

The single memory leak with plasma and X is not that catastrophe, I restart it every 3 days, when palsma's memory usage is over 200MB RAM.

My question is: Is there a possible way to automatically limit ALL processes' memory usage to for example 300MB ram (afterwards autokill, or first try only fulfilling swap instead)? And can I limit ALL processes' cpu usage to 90 or 95% total? (I heard about something called cpulimit I think, but I need it for even newly created processes) That 5% would be enough for kde to even open ctrl+esc (ksysguard), but in this case my computers start to lagg annoyingly, and a clean shutdown takes 5 minutes this time.

I hope I won't have to make a custom kernel, and it would be enough to write an sh script for startup.)

#2 2010-01-17 20:44:05

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: Starter script, that blocks "rememleak" and 100%cpu on 1 process

You can use ulimit to restrict on a per process basis. See also the setrlimit system call.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-01-17 20:49:49

Vegita

Re: Starter script, that blocks "rememleak" and 100%cpu on 1 process

thanks, that will be good as I'll have time to read those manuals tongue If anyone used one of these for all processes, please answer here! Thanks!

Board footer