You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 02:44:45

pw_f100_220

Deleted folder returns after system restart: ssd?

It's an empty folder in my home directory.  (I have a Pics folder and this Pictures folder.  I only need one.)  I checked ownership and I'm the owner and the group...it deletes with right-click delete.  I also sudo rm'd, I logged in as root and rm'd...all deleted the folder.  Then after a couple of restarts the folder is back in all it's agonizing glory...I have deleted many other things, folders included, and nothing else reappears.

I have a solid state hard drive...and I don't know that much about them, but I know the info isn't necessarily deleted from the disk; just the system until you TRIM...maybe that has something to do with it?

any ideas?

Sometimes I just want people to expect me to do what I would do instead of what most people would do.

#2 2010-01-18 02:56:15

ataraxia

Re: Deleted folder returns after system restart: ssd?

That's an XDG folder. One of your apps is creating it behind your back. Set XDG_PICTURES_DIR in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs to the name that you actually want it to have.

#3 2010-01-18 04:02:59

pw_f100_220

that config doesn't exist...so I have to question if that could mean XDG isn't necessarily the case?  or should i just create it?

Sometimes I just want people to expect me to do what I would do instead of what most people would do.

#4 2010-01-18 04:36:28

milomouse
Website

cd ~/.config
create file called: user-dirs.dirs
and save this to it:

XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/pics"

Or "/home/your-username/pics" , "/home/$USER/pics", or whatever you want.
Other variables are:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR=""
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR=""
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR=""
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR=""
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR=""
XDG_MUSIC_DIR=""
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR=""

#5 2010-01-18 20:24:24

pw_f100_220

No dice...I only did pics in the file, but I renamed the folder "Stuff" then I put some tars in there (that were sitting in my home directory...so it'll be a temporary folder for icons and themes and stuff that I don't want to do right now).

The test is to see if this folder will stay the way it is, and if the old folder will pop up in addition to this one...

I can live with a system "to do" folder, we'll see what happens, just for fun

#6 2010-01-18 20:43:23

pw_f100_220

Nope, the old folder appeared again, but it wasn't there when I opened pcmanfm.  it appeared when I opened a file from within openoffice and then it was in pcmanfm....this is just plain weird

Board footer