You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 04:11:20

mobiblu

Cannot figure out how to update video driver

First of all "Hello everyone"
After a great deal of research on the ArchWiki and youtube. I was able to finally install Arch linux and the KDE enviroment. I'm very new to linux, so I'm still trying to learn and figure everything out. My first problem is updating my video drive. KDE would allow me to have any resolution higher than 800x600, so I figure it must need to update my video driver. I have a Biostar TF7025-M2 with an intergrated Nvidia GeForce 7025 graphic card. I try to follow through the Wiki begining guide and did # pacman -S nvidia-173xx. I'm not sure if that was correct. Can someone shed some light? Please be as detail as possible.

#2 2010-01-18 04:47:21

sHyLoCk

Re: Cannot figure out how to update video driver

Remove the 173xx driver. Then:

pacman -S nvidia

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2010-01-18 05:40:31

mobiblu

Re: Cannot figure out how to update video driver

thanks for the quick respond sHyLoCk.
So here what I did: # pacman -Rd nvidia-173xx to remove the package then # pacman -S nvidia. When try to run the Nvidia X server setting in KDE--it tell me:
You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.
What do I have to configure in the nvidia-xconfig file?

I think I figure it out:
I log in as root and nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf then I save the file and reboot. It work! resolution is higher but now I'm getting a frequency out of range...lol. I'm going to consider this issue solve.

Last edited by mobiblu (2010-01-18 06:16:27)

Board footer