You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 12:31:45

hteamspy
Website

[solved] Fresh new install, and just one last problem :D

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot for this forum and the wiki.

I come from the "safe" Ubuntu world (for almost 4 years full time now).

When I received my SSD drive, I was looking for Arch Linux for long now and finally took the time to do a fresh install on my workstation.

Thanks to the beginner's guide and the wiki everything went smoothly, and after few hours I've got my workstation working with my ruby on rails + vim setup properly, my skype is working, as my webcam, well all good.

I'm just looking for 1 more tweak. When I was on Ubuntu I was able in the gnome power manager to setup like this:

On Ac/Power when the lid is closes, do nothing
On battery when the lid is closed, suspend

But I don't find these options any more. I just have on Ac/Power and it doesn't offer the do nothing option.

If someone could help me to sort that out that would be awesome big_smile

Last edited by hteamspy (2010-01-18 20:51:17)

Nicolas Alpi, Ruby on Rails developer freelance. My blog is : notgeeklycorrect.com

#2 2010-01-18 12:37:15

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [solved] Fresh new install, and just one last problem :D

Are you launching gnome with this:

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

if that does not work, there are other posts about configuring policykit permissions to allow you to do this.  e.g this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 86#p449886 (not sure if that is still needed with ck-launch... though).

#3 2010-01-18 17:00:23

hteamspy
Website

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both solution without any success unfortunately sad

Nicolas Alpi, Ruby on Rails developer freelance. My blog is : notgeeklycorrect.com

#4 2010-01-18 17:46:16

ewaller
Administrator

I think you have an acpi issue.

Are there any subdirectories under the pseudo directory /proc/acpi/battery ?
If there is, for example, a BAT0 directory, look at the contents of /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info and see if it looks rational.
If not,  a little more examination of the acpi system may be in order.

You could also look under /proc/acpi/button and see if things such as your lid switch and power buttons show up.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2010-01-18 20:40:36

hteamspy
Website

I think I didn't explain my problem properly.

So basically when I'm on battery and I close the lid my computer goes on suspend that's ok. But when it's on AC/Power and then I close the lid I want it to do nothing, where at the moment it lock the screen.

I went into the gnome power management but the options are the usual ones : Black screen / Suspend / Hibernate ... but there is no "Nothing" option as I had in Ubuntu sad

#6 2010-01-18 20:54:14

hteamspy
Website

Harg, that was pretty easy basically in gconf-editor, subsection app -> gnome-power-manager -> button the value with lid_ac was set as blank where it should be "nothing".

To correct that

gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing"

Thanks for the reply guy, now I'll turn to my vim + ruby1.9 + rvm problem big_smile

Nic

Board footer