You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 16:19:20

caligo

network printer does not print after recieving data

This is one of the stranger Linux issues I've encountered, but given my level of expertice that might not be saying much... Anyway:

I have a Brother HL 2030 printer that is connected to an Apple AirPort Express base station. I have managed to get CUPS to recognise the printer, using the Airport Express specific instructions provided by the Arch Wiki entry on CUPS and the HL2060 CUPS+Guteprint drivers. When I try to print something, the printer wakes up and the status light starts blinking as if it's recieving data. Then it stops blinking, and nothing happens -- no error lights, nothing. It is almost as if the the printer gets the data, but does not know what to do with it once it has all been transferred.

CUPS seems to think it has managed to print successfully: there are no new entries in the error log, and there's nothing obviously wrong with the access log either: it says it has created and sent the job successfully. Should it also say that the job has been successfully completed, or something similar?

I have a fairly basic Arch install on a Lenovo s10e netbook (running Gnome and using the unmodified Arch kernel). I am using CUPS version 1.4.2-2, and I've tried setting up the printer using both the web-based CUPS interface and Gnome's system-config-printer tool, but it does not seem to make any difference.

I'm at a complete loss here -- the same setup worked pretty much out of the box under Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. My girlfriend's two Macs manage to print just fine, so the AirPort Express and printer seem to be in working condition.

#2 2010-01-18 18:35:40

lagagnon
Website

Re: network printer does not print after recieving data

Check the address of the printer. It should be something like "socket://192.168.0.104:9100. See middle of this wiki entry:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Brother_MFC-420CN

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-01-19 11:27:52

caligo

Re: network printer does not print after recieving data

That's how it's set up now (192.168.0.6:9100), as per the instructions in the wiki entry on CUPS.

And if the address was the problem, I figure the printer would hardly be found at all. Its status is defined as "idle", and it obviously wakes up when i try to print--it just doesn't do any printing. hmm

Board footer