You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 17:01:59

kaddy

building packages

Hi archers...
this is gonna make me sound really dumb... but i dont' care... cause i wanna learn...

I basically want to learn how to build packages from source so that i can submit packages to AUR... because i see software that i want that
is not there....
i've read all the information about how to build packages for arch... but Im having a little bit of a hard time understanding the final steps and what I should do....

I've started off by compiling vlc from source code.... followed the steps listed here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bui … to_the_AUR

basically... i've compiled the source and made a directory for the packge with this command make DESTDIR=$pkgdir install || return 1

so now i have a Vlc folder in /home/kaddy     and in that vlc folder i have 4 folders..... /bin    /include   /lib    /share

where do I go from here to create a package that i can submit to AUR? pkgbuild?    where exactly do i get all the correct info to fill in the pkgbuild? what the heck is the final steps to get the job done?

sorry if my questions are stoopid..... but im new to compiling, i've been reading the wiki all nite about it and I still don't get how to finish the steps... call me dumb if you will tongue

anyways... thanks for any help....
some lamo simple steps perhaps? lol

kaddy

#2 2010-01-18 17:18:33

siriusb

Re: building packages

Hi kaddy,

I don't know whether is it relevant or not, but vlc is in the extra repo, you can install it with pacman -S vlc
If you just want to learn the way to submit packages to AUR, please disregard my post.

#3 2010-01-18 17:24:17

sHyLoCk

I think basically you want to learn how to write a PKGBUILD.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#4 2010-01-18 17:24:37

kaddy

i was only using vlc source code as a test to create a package..... i know vlc is easy to compile thats all... I only wanna learn how to make packages for AuR...

#5 2010-01-18 17:41:29

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

kaddy wrote:

i was only using vlc source code as a test to create a package..... i know vlc is easy to compile thats all... I only wanna learn how to make packages for AuR...

man PKGBUILD and see the examples in /usr/share/pacman.
Also look at the PKGBUILDs in aur.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2010-01-18 17:56:25

loafer

It sounds like the PKGBUILD was at fault.  Try starting with the one for ABS if you want to use vlc as an example and edit it as needed. And as Mr. Elendig says look at the man pages.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Board footer