You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-19 18:08:02

antonikus

Does anyone actually use Nepomuk?

Relly?

It seemed worse than a virus for me when I tryed kde4, something kept running in the background eating all  my cpu powers and harddrive speeds, I had to google to turn the thing off.
Then I let it run for a while. Still havent found any good use of it.
Examples?

Linux user since redhat 6.1. former gentooer, former slacker. Now arher.

#2 2010-01-19 18:26:18

mutlu_inek

Re: Does anyone actually use Nepomuk?

It indexes the content of .doc, .odt, .txt, etc. files. I use it for desktop search. But it is still not as good as Recall at that specific task. It should get quite a bit better with the new KDE SC 4.4 coming out in a few weeks.

Of course, it also powers Bangarang and makes tagging, annotations, etc. possible. But IMHO there needs to be a tighter integration with KDE apps for this to become a big draw. What is lacking right now is backup and export of the database, which held me back from using it is this way.

#3 2010-01-19 20:11:12

gnumdk

No, nepomuk doesn't index anything...

You can use nepomuk without strigi: just for taging/rating

#4 2010-01-19 20:57:00

Mikko777

Just a quick summary of what Akonadi is, for those who don't know: Akonadi is an abstraction layer/proxy and a cache for PIM data.
PIM data can by anything like mails, contacts or calendar entries, and they can come from different sources, like an IMAP server, a
local vCard file or an Exchange server. Akonadi provides an easy API for the client application developer to access that PIM data
in a transparent way.

Nepomuk aims to provide the basis to handle all kinds of metadata on the KDE desktop in a generic fashion. This ranges from simple information such as tags or ratings over metadata extracted from files to metadata that is generated by applications automatically. RDF, the Resource Description Framework, provides the powerful basis to store and query all this data. The goal is to categorize all metadata using clean ontologies to make an automated handling and enrichment of the data possible.

Then theres strigi which can also use various backends for filesearching/ indexing.

And yes i use all of the above in kde 4.4 which has virtuoso backend for strigi making it alot faster.

All of the above are a bit work in progress still tho.

examples:

-bangarang
-kmail2
-dolphin and ctrl+f2 runner searches

#5 2010-01-21 14:36:12

antonikus

What would you suggest I improve in Nepomuk-KDE?

What application would you like which is "semantic"/Nepomukized?

Linux user since redhat 6.1. former gentooer, former slacker. Now arher.

Board footer