You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-24 00:14:15

atrofast

Broadcom wireless chipset (BCM4328) issues

Greetings all,

I did a search on BCM4328 and I couldn't find anyone having my particular problem so here goes: I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 running Arch 64 bit fully updated with the BCM4328 rev 3 chipset (draft N wireless). The b43-fwcutter drivers do not support this chip, but there are options.

First, the broadcom-wl driver (got it from AUR), after installing and modprobing works just fine to scan, and bind to a wireless network. The first peculiar thing is that the speed of the connection always shows as 2 mb/s, but this is not the real speed (I tested). This might be totally unrelated to the REAL problem I have with this driver which is, after some use, especially after heavier traffic it stops working for about 20-30 seconds, then starts again without me having to do anything. It does not actually disconnect me. This is really annoying and starts happening more and more the longer I've been connected.

Next the ndiswrapper + a bcmwl5.inf/sys driver. It also loads and scans/connects just fine, no issues there, although it sometimes takes up to 60 seconds to acquire the lease/connection. The issue I get with this driver also happens when I'm under heavier traffic, especially transferring files over the local network. This driver just stops working all together. It doesn't disconnect me but no matter how long I wait the connection is never "restored". I have to rmmod ndiswrapper, modprobe ndiswrapper and restart the connection to make it work again.

All in all, the ndiswrapper works a LOT better than broadcom-wl but it is still quite annoying to have to restart the network when I try to download a large file. Has anyone encountered these problems and if so, is there any solution to them? Any help or discussion is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

EDIT:

The chip is not damaged, it works flawlessly in Windows XP (I dual boot I'm afraid)

Last edited by atrofast (2010-01-24 00:15:15)

#2 2010-01-24 12:19:39

atrofast

Re: Broadcom wireless chipset (BCM4328) issues

My router uses WPA2 version 1 with TKIP encryption. I set up a secondary wireless using just WEP and using this network I haven't had any issues but it's a lot slower... I can only achieve speeds up to 12mbit/s (even though it says 130mbit/s). Not sure if it works better because I just can't tax it as heavy or using this encryption doesn't causing it to hang. Anybody else tried/encountered this?

Board footer