You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-24 09:03:42

schneida
Website

Icons and filetype association

Hi!

I'm having some troubles with displaying correct icons and doing filetype --> programm association. I'm currently using Openbox and Pcmanfm and I can't figure out how to set default applications and icons. I installed MS-Office 2007 (Wine) and now a lot of files have those ugly MS icons and are associated with the MS programs. For example PcManFm wants to open all application/octet-stream files with a Microsoft XML Editor. I was able to change the association under PcManFm to any other program, but the icon remains. On the other hand, wine did not install any links to the applications in the fbpanel menu. Although I was able to add those icons by creating .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ I don't think that one should have to do that.

I read a little bit of the documentation of xdg-utils (because I thought they might be the solutions), but I can't figure out what they could do for me. Am I right and they are just for getting the mime type, opening the correct application, and installing .desktop files to /usr/share/applications?

The things I would like to do are:
* Change Icon based on mime type and/or extension
* Change default application across all filemanager (and also webbrowsers and that stuff)

Maybe somebody could help me, because I feed google with a lot of different key-words but couldn't find anything useful except a lot of people complaining about not beeing able to get the mime type of a specific document, but thats not the case as for me.

Thanks in advance

schneida

#2 2010-01-26 13:21:50

schneida
Website

Re: Icons and filetype association

Nobody has an idea how to help me?

#3 2010-01-26 16:08:07

anonymous_user

I think the icons are based on the program used to open the file; I don't know if that can be changed.

#4 2010-01-26 17:01:12

schneida
Website

I don't think that's the case because I can install different Icon packages and they change the icon style. They should be based on the extension or the mime type of the file but not on the application that is opening them.

#5 2010-01-26 17:18:50

anonymous_user

Well what I mean is that .exe files have the Wine icon because they are associated with Wine.

Maybe you get weird icons because those filetypes are not native to Linux?

#6 2010-01-26 17:39:45

schneida
Website

Oh, you were talking about they .exe file. In this case you were right, but I'm talking about the *.doc or *.odt file. I would like to change their icons. Moreover I would like to change some other icons as well and give them less generic ones. For example a different icon for presentations and writer documents or for mp3 and wav files. How can I do that?

#7 2010-01-26 17:59:11

anonymous_user

#8 2010-01-26 22:40:21

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

to disable that behaviour in wine, open up winecfg, go to the "Libraries" tab, type "winemenubuilder.exe" (without quotes) in the "New override for library" box, click add then edit and choose "Disable". Now wine will no longer do any file associations.
To reverse the changes it's already made, edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, and if you feel brave try rooting around in ~/.local/share/mime to get rid of them completely

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

Board footer