You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-24 13:51:42

ironwiller

Sony Vaio W installation issue

hi.
i just got a sony vaio w and i want to install to it my favourite arch which i ve been using 3+ years smile
the thing is that i followed the guide to create a usb install stick, went normally into installation but when i went to create partition for installing arch it got me a problem that it cant do more than 4 partitions

right now it has:

sda1 10GB as recovery disk
sda2 100MB as boot or something like that
sda3 130GB as win7
unallocated 100GB (which they came from shrinking the sda3)

i made sda4 as ext3 for installation and then when i went to create sda5 aka swap it didnt allowed me to do it

i create another usb stick with gparted and tried to do it from there but i had the same result.

does anyone know how to do it?

ty in advanced for your help

PS: i do want to keep win7
PS2: is there a possibility to erase sda2 cause either way i will have a bootloader or is it needed?
PS3: when i'll make the recovery disks that win7 wants the sda1 do i needed anymore?

#2 2010-01-24 20:53:32

lamegaptop

Re: Sony Vaio W installation issue

1. Four primary partitions are the max one can have on a HD. To have more than 4 partions one must use extended partitions.
Some reading - http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … ard_Drives

2. Your sda2 is the 'special' boot partition that Windows7 uses. Do not delete or your Windows7 installation will be borked.

3. Recovery partitions (your sda1) are usually provided by the manufacturer (Lenovo, HP, etc.) If you have known good recovery CD/DVDs ( TEST THEM! DO NOT ASSUME THEY ARE GOOD) the recovery partition could be eliminated.

Back up your present installation before doing anything else. Either by imaging the drive, burning recovery disks, or both. Then read the link above from the Arch beginners guide.

Proceed with care and have fun.

Don't break the silence unless you can improve upon it.

#3 2010-01-27 16:56:37

ironwiller

ok...so...first of all everything ok with the above "problem"
what i did finally was running gparted usb and copy all the sda1 aka recovery partition to another hdd that i connected and now i ve succesfully install arch big_smile BOOYAA!!! big_smile

the thing is that i m facing a bigger challenge with the network....yeah... (and i thought that i will proceed smoothly)
i have the "famous" ethernet card "Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adpter (rev c0)"
which even though that i have tried "http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … ls_at_boot"
-- unfortunately dhcpcd: timed out --
and also tried something from forum which separate the one that says about the atheros-wired (although that it is for 1005. i believed that it can do also for me) aka "http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=30159"
when i download the tarball and went to makepkg so i can copy it after to the notebook it says to me something like

"Makefile:61: *** Linux kernel source not found.  Stop.
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting..."

so failed to this one also..

What must i do to work this through?
pls...i want to kick out win7 starter....grrr...imagine that i CANNOT change even the background!! how lame is that?..anyhow...
so pls help a fellow arch-er get free from the windowzzzzzz

ty in advanced again for your help

#4 2010-01-28 05:01:20

lamegaptop

A little research shows that the two possible kernel modules for that NIC are -

/lib/modules/2.6.32-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/atl1c/atl1c.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko

Both are present on my machine with the latest 2.6.32-ARCH kernel.

ethtool -i eth0

shows which driver is in use.

try them one at a time. See which works. I think it is the atl1e that you are looking for.

lsmod | grep atl1
rmmod atl1c
modprobe atl1e

or perhaps use /etc/rc.conf MODULES section to load one but not the other.

Last edited by lamegaptop (2010-01-28 05:04:57)

#5 2010-01-28 20:28:51

ironwiller

lamegaptop wrote:

A little research shows that the two possible kernel modules for that NIC are -

/lib/modules/2.6.32-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/atl1c/atl1c.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko

Both are present on my machine with the latest 2.6.32-ARCH kernel.

ethtool -i eth0

shows which driver is in use.

try them one at a time. See which works. I think it is the atl1e that you are looking for.

lsmod | grep atl1
rmmod atl1c
modprobe atl1e

or perhaps use /etc/rc.conf MODULES section to load one but not the other.

did what you said.. didn't have success either with atl1e.

when i run dhcpcd went again timed out with both....

what can i do???

i tried copying all the files from another pc i have but when i went to make installation of them didnt have success cause it kept asking for files that required etc....isnt anyway to make it work?

#6 2010-01-30 16:02:52

lamegaptop

Do you have another machine that successfully aquires an adress via DHCP? Have you tried connecting another machine to the same port/cable?

It may help if you post any outputs associated with this error, including lspci, ifconfig, ethtool.

Board footer