You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-25 21:54:58

Freyja

[solved] System crashes on splash screen

Hi,
It seems I spoke too soon about my Arch distrib working fine on my desktop computer.
I installed Arch on friday evening and got it working fine on saturday, even my sound card -an usb one, one day I'll buy a real one-
Sunday, I updated with Pacman -Syu, I believe there was a kernel update within it, but I don't remember exactly.
Sunday evening, I started the computer, Slim showed up, I logged in, and then the computer froze on the xfce4 splash screen. The mouse didn't react, nor did the keyboard. I waited a little while and hit the power button.
I tried to read about it, and then I talked with a friend (the one that helped me with Arch the first time I got it on my EEEpc), and made me look into the logs.
The Xorg logs didn't have any error in it, but in the errors.log I found this :

kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0 (around 10 times)
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0 (around 10 times too)
kernel: tda1004x : timeout waiting for DSP ready (x2)
kernel: tda1004x : no firmware upload (timeout or file not found ? (just once, after that, the computer freezes)

We found out that the Buffer I/O error were caused by my dvd-rom player, that I unplugged, so the Buffer I/O error and end_request didn't show up after that, but I still have the freeze when I try to get to xfce, with the same errors in my logs.

I hope someone can tell me what this is about, because I am slightly lost.
My computer works fine on text based mode, slim works fine by itself,
If you need any information that I can provide, I'll gladly give it.

Last edited by Freyja (2010-01-26 22:16:59)

#2 2010-01-26 22:16:48

Freyja

Re: [solved] System crashes on splash screen

I'm posting this here if someone ever has a problem similar to them, maybe it'll help smile

Yesterday I solved the problem,
the tda1004x was a TV Tuner card in my computer I had no interest in, so I took it out, but the computer still froze on login with xfce.

I uninstalled xfce and tried using e17, and it worked, so I believe the problem was related to xfce.

Board footer