You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-26 20:40:58

Bonkers

Change Sound Output

Hey,
At first I want to thank all the users who are helping beginners to solve theire Problems - like me wink
I installed Arch and everything, I even got Compiz to work (proud wink ), but now I ran into a Problem.
In Ubuntu you can change the Device to hear Sound with, using a Right-Click on the Ǵnome-Volume-Control. In Arch theres no Option to change the output, and I did'nt found it in the Preferences either.
I installed Pulseaudio, but now Banshee and The Movie Player are not even playing on the wrong device, they seem to be confused a bit wink ("Internal data flow error.").
I just wanted to know wheter its possible to change the output using the Gnome-Volume-Control, like in Ubuntu, and wheter I really need to use Pulseaudio, since my Sound worked on the first boot of Arch... (My Headset is being recognized and everything, its just not set as the default device I think).

Thanks for your help, if there are any language-faults be generous, its not my native language smile

#2 2010-01-26 22:43:37

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

Re: Change Sound Output

you can probably run "gstreamer-properties" either by pressing Alt+F2 or from a terminal
I think ubuntu probably integrates that program into the volume controller for some reason

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#3 2010-01-28 04:54:32

timbosa

Bonkers wrote:

I just wanted to know wheter its possible to change the output using the Gnome-Volume-Control, like in Ubuntu, and wheter I really need to use Pulseaudio, since my Sound worked on the first boot of Arch...

No, you don't need to use Pulseaudio. I can't recommend it either.

#4 2010-01-29 01:35:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I use Pulseaudio, controlling it with pavucontrol.

Ubuntu integrates it into the distribution. Gnome in Arch does not, yet (it'll get done someday when JGC has the time/help). Because of this, if you use pulseaudio it will not be as well-integrated, for example gnome-volume-control remains unaware of it, and some apps may need to be either recompiled with pulseaudio support or rerouted through your asoundrc.

Go to the pulseaudio wiki article for instructions.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-01-29 04:38:57

Odysseus

I'm the type to fling myself headlong through the magical wardrobe, and then incinerate the ornate mahogany portal behind me with a Molotov cocktail.

Board footer