You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-28 02:32:36

theringmaster
Website

hp printer not printing properly

I have a HP Photosmart C4280. It is fully supported by the HPLIP package and it used to work. I couldn't tell you why it stopped. The Black ink doesn't seem to wanna come out. You'll see what I mean when I attach the alignment page. I have brand new ink cartridges for both color and black. I can't align the print head because it isn't printing right to begin with. I have it set to use the hpijs driver. Cups and hplip are both up to date as well as the rest of my arch system. It seems that a few months ago this started happening. It was fine before then. I disconnected the printer to wait for a few updates. I was hoping it wasn't my fault. As I said the inks are brand new.

alignmentpage.th.jpg

Ignore what looks like a mirror image (the pink looking stuff toward the upper right hand side of the page) I just printed a copy of the alignment page on the back of this to save paper. made no progress.

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#2 2010-01-28 17:48:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: hp printer not printing properly

Please forgive me, this is a really silly question and I really don't mean it in any negative way --

Did you remove the protective plastic film from the electrical contacts on the brand new ink cartridges before you installed them?

Just thought I would start with the obvious.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-01-28 22:01:57

theringmaster
Website

ewaller wrote:

Please forgive me, this is a really silly question and I really don't mean it in any negative way --

Did you remove the protective plastic film from the electrical contacts on the brand new ink cartridges before you installed them?

Just thought I would start with the obvious.

oh yea, I did that. everything looks fine

#4 2010-01-28 22:10:42

chpln

I'd first try cleaning the print heads.

When you say the 'inks are brand new', do you mean they are recently purchased, or that they have had very little use?

#5 2010-01-28 22:33:43

theringmaster
Website

They were purchased some time ago, but never opened until now

#6 2010-01-29 09:21:40

chpln

I suspect the ink has solidified over time and is now blocking the print head.

A quick search should reveal some methods to attempt to get the ink flowing again, though I'm not aware of any guaranteed solution.  As wasteful as it seems, the cartridge may need to be replaced if the blockage can not be removed.

Board footer