You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-28 16:38:13

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

BIG ISSUE: cannot boot because / filesystem is read only! [HELP

Ok, here what i did.
i followed this thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=62518 but i think i've screwed something (rc.shutdown, i bet) and now my filesystem is always readonly when it boots.
init cannot start rc.sysinit, so everything after that fails. after alsa level failure, it says there's no more processed in that level (what level???) and the system freezes as it is...

any hint help? i tought about chroot, but actually i don't know how it works (i can cut-copy commands, but i'd like to know what they're used for...)

thanks all, everything from you is appreciated!

#2 2010-01-28 16:51:50

marxav

Re: BIG ISSUE: cannot boot because / filesystem is read only! [HELP

Did you look at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Boot_Process and http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot.  That would be a starting point

I bet you did not understand all the consequences of the aforementionned thread...

#3 2010-01-28 16:53:23

grey

If you know which files you modified and you kept the original versions somewhere, you don't need chroot. Just run a live CD, mount the arch install root directory as writeable, enter it and then restore the original file versions.

If you don't have the original files you can get them from the initscripts package, which might still be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

Last edited by grey (2010-01-28 16:58:18)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#4 2010-01-28 16:54:22

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

while it was on rc.sysinit and mkinitcpio everything was running fine, but after changing shutdown, i don't know something messed up... and i forgot to restore rc.shutdown's backup... when i restored it from arch's usb drive, it still didn't work, because the partition seems to be still locked... files are correct now...

#5 2010-01-28 16:55:48

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

grey wrote:

If you know which files you modified and you kept the original versions somewhere, you don't need chroot. Just run a live CD, mount the arch install root directory as writeable, enter it and then restore the original file versions.

Alternatively, start the arch liveCD, mount the arch install root /some/where, then do

$ chroot /some/where pacman -S initscripts

that's what i did... i restored the original files... but it still doesn't work... sysinit cannot start because root filesystem is locked read only

#6 2010-01-28 17:10:22

grey

Usually a filesystem is mounted read-only if a filesystem check fails. But then you'd read about that during boot. Still: you must be getting some error messages during the boot process. What are they?

Also just out of curiosity: what filesystem type is the root filesystem?

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#7 2010-01-28 17:12:53

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

fs type is ext4 and it has no actual boot...
when it's supposed to run rc.sysinit, it just says it cannot because it's readonly and from there on every check fails (udev and co..)

#8 2010-01-28 22:36:12

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

grey wrote:

If you don't have the original files you can get them from the initscripts package, which might still be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

everything is fine now, i kinda followed this advice: i copied the original files from usb's arch live smile i could run fsck and fix everything smile
thanks all big_smile

Board footer