You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-29 02:35:51

pheebs

Arch in Virtual Box : Mounting CDs (Guest Additions)

First ever arch install! I've tinkered with linux distros before (ubuntu, centos) but nothing quite this involved, so i really don't know the fundamentals down pat yet.

I'm running in a VirtualBox machine, if i start using it avidly, maybe i'll put it on my lappy smile

So, I have completed the install and am walking through the beginner guide. I'm at the point of installing X and video drivers.

I'm just wondering where exactly to go from here. Do I continue with the guide and install everything or go with the guest additions?

Also on mounting the CD. I mounted it in VirtualBox (settings -> install guest additions), but I'm pretty clueless on how to navigate to it at the prompt.  In my experience from ubuntu it usually gets mounted under /media, but it refuses to show up (i've tried configuring HAL but that hasn't worked yet.

Greatly appreciate the help on getting this right.

Last edited by pheebs (2010-01-29 02:50:39)

#2 2010-01-29 02:56:13

jowilkin

Re: Arch in Virtual Box : Mounting CDs (Guest Additions)

You probably want to install X first, I believe the guest additions related to X will fail to install if you don't already have X installed.

As for getting to the guest additions, you can just mount them manually.  They should be at /dev/sr0, so something like

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt

should work to mount it to /mnt.  Just replace /mnt with any existing directory to mount it somewhere else.

#3 2010-01-29 13:55:34

pheebs

Re: Arch in Virtual Box : Mounting CDs (Guest Additions)

Thank you very much for that, i couldn't really find any documentation on basic mounting. The new shiny distros don't really force you to learn basics.

I got the guest additions to work by first installing the vesa driver, using xorg -configure, testing out X with xterm, and then sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

Now my xorg config has a Driver "vboxvideo" line. 

But now after i exit xterm i get an AIGLX error:

dlopen of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(EE) AIGLX reverting to software rendering

i cd'd to that directory and it's not there.  I haven't googled this yet, but i have to run.

Last edited by pheebs (2010-01-29 14:12:43)

Board footer