You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-03 05:08:42

RahJiggah

install over redhat on a dualboot

how do i install arch linux over my redhat 9 which is on a dualboot with win2kserver....

:oops:

#2 2005-01-03 11:22:37

murkus

Re: install over redhat on a dualboot

RahJiggah wrote:

how do i install arch linux over my redhat 9 which is on a dualboot with win2kserver....

:oops:

Have you read Arch installation guide?  Replace the drive and partition with the ones wher you have redhat installed.  Do not select auto-prepare for "prepare disk drive" -option!!

keep in mind that you do not want to overwrite the MBR during the "install bootloader" stage of the install procedure. Overwriting the MBR renders your windows unbootable.

HTH, HAND

.murkus

#3 2005-01-08 00:34:42

hugelmopf

RahJiggah wrote:

There is two tasks:
1. Install Archlinux on your Redhat partition. This can be done with the Arch installer, but as murkus pointed out: Do not auto-prepare your hard drive.
Everything is explained in the link, murkus provided (partition manually: partition hard drive, set filesystem mountpoint). But be careful, that a new filesystem will be created on every partition you choose there, meaning that all data on these partitions will be lost.

2. Install and configure a bootloader:
You might want to read a howto about Grub, the default boot loader that Arch uses.
You will have to install Grub as bootloader into the MBR to be able to boot into your Archlinux as well as into Win2k. This is one step during the default Archlinux installer. For /boot/grub/menu.lst (the Grub configuration file) look at the first example located in the wiki at "http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub configure examples" and add "devfs=nomount" as explained below, if you want to use UDev.

If you are unsure about what you are doing, post here some more details about your partition/drive setup and current boot loader and I might be able to help you.
I don't take any responsibility for lost data or unbootable Win2k ;-)

Frank

#4 2005-01-09 13:52:01

RahJiggah

no probz....i did the best thing and got rid of windoze!!

im all set up now...thanx

Board footer