You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-30 16:13:35

zero-giulio

Setting up my machine: which drivers???

I'm installing Arch Linux on my Dell Precision M6300.

Installation is, in reality, completed. I also have set up my connection (after long problems: see my topic in this section, gprs through mobile phone).

Now, I have to install drivers for my device.

First of all, what I have to install for my keyboard and mouse? They both seem to work for the moment (I run xorg-input-drivers and install everything I found), but maybe I have to do something. For example, my "Alt Gr" button seems not to work, and I can't digit the "{" character, and so on... Neverthless, almost all the other button work. For the touchpad, in Windows I installed some synaptics driver. In linux?

Now, more difficult questions.

I usually work with a wireless mouse (logitech v320), how can I set up this mouse?

Also, I link my laptop to an external monitor, using two cable: one for the video, and the other for the audio. In windows I didn't install nothing: simply, I link the cables and everything work. In linux?

For the audio? Alsamixer is the definitive choice, or maybe I had better to install something else (the driver I installed in windows is the sigmatel's driver).

After keyboard, mouses (touchpad and wireless), audio and video drivers, which drivers I have to install?

#2 2010-01-30 16:35:00

Tiigon

Re: Setting up my machine: which drivers???

That keyboard problem sounds really weird, I've never heard of anything like that.

For the touchpad, install xf86-input-synaptics. If you've already done that (it's included in xorg-input-drivers, so probably yes) and it doesn't work, it's probably disabled. Most laptops have a key for disabling/enabling that (Fn + F7 for me), try pressing it a few times.

For the mouse, try first if it works without any configuration. HAL picked up my USB mouse without any configuration.

For video, just install the nvidia package and see if it works. Same for audio, install alsa and see if it works.

After those, install drivers for the devices you're using. I don't know what you have, so I can't help you with that.

Last edited by Tiigon (2010-01-30 16:35:37)

#3 2010-01-30 16:38:25

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Setting up my machine: which drivers???

For your touchpad:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?tit … hpad&go=Go

Most of your other problems will be covered by the wiki too; I suggest you look there first and post a topic if what is in the wiki doesn't work for you.

As for your keyboard, make sure your have the right keymap.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer