You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-31 16:10:16

KhRiZiZi

Installation.

Hey guys, I'm here getting really tired of distros like Ubuntu, openSuSE, etc doing all the work for me, I know theres the option to just do it yourself in the terminal and stuff. The thing is if you don't need to use it, why use it? I don't know much about Linux in general maybe that's because I started with Ubuntu. Anyways I though I'd install Arch Linux and maybe try to actually learn something. I downloaded the Core ISO from their site by torrent. Burned it, etc. Installed it fine. But Post-Install, installing the GUI and everything I can't get. I found a guide that I was trying to follow over my PS3 browser. The Arch Linux beginners guide.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

I got to Step 2, followed the instructions fine, @Force pacman to refresh the package lists I get stuck because when I do that it says something about me having no repositories to fetch from (pretty much)

I uncommented the Repositories, and I uncommented the Waterloo (Canadian) mirror and I uncommented all the mirrors in USA & Canada in the mirrorlist.backup like it said.

Does anyone know what's going on? Or a better guide that explains the whole post-install better?

Thanks.

#2 2010-01-31 16:15:28

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Installation.

The beginners guide explains perfectly fine. I'd guess that you never ran rankmirrors to regenerate your mirrorlist. try actually reading this time

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#3 2010-01-31 17:31:50

sHyLoCk

Is your internet working? Can you ping google?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#4 2010-01-31 17:36:48

sHyLoCk

It could also be because of this http://www.archlinux.org/news/482/
Try this mirror http://archlinux.unixheads.org/

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#5 2010-01-31 20:18:19

manuC

Check the following:

1. Internet connectivity must work, obviously.
> ping www.google.com
If you get replies you're good.

2. Pacman configuration must be good. Check /etc/pacman.conf
You shouldn't have comments in there (those begin with a #). Mine looks like this:

[options]
HoldPkg=pacman glibc
SyncFirst=pacman

[core]
Include=/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
Server=ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64

[extra]

[community]

Yours might look differently if you're using 32-bit linux. But this has to be there: no comments. Four categories (with the [ as the first character on the line) , include files and a server.

3. The include file to which is pointed must exist and have servers commented out.
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Mine is too long to post, but contains three servers that are commented out.

You mention mirrorlist.backup
That is not a file that is read by your configuration. They must be commented out in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist as well. A backup is fine to keep around (though I don't bother), but make sure they're uncommented in the actual file that gets used as well.

If you have problems after this, I don't know what is up.

#6 2010-02-07 02:59:10

AnotherDave

I'm having the same problem:

# pacman -S python
python package not found, searching for group...
error: 'python': not found in sync db

My system was built from isolinux, as grub wouldn't cooperate with netinstall-x86_64.iso Could this be a problem? I don't see instructions for isolinux in install guide, nor beginner's guide.

Ghost1227: Which fine section of the beginner's guide do you refer to? rankmirrors depends on python, and python is what needs to be installed.

sHyLoCk: Networking and ping work okay. I tried uncommenting several mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and tried adding http://archlinux.unixheads.org/$repo/os/x86_64 with no luck.

Is there a 'refresh' command to be used after uncommenting the above? I ask because:

manuC: My /etc/pacman.conf doesn't have the Server=xxxx line under core, extra, and community. I did a second install, making sure /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist was correct.

But, even adding the Server= lines post-install did not help. Same error message as above.

Last edited by AnotherDave (2010-02-07 03:03:46)

#7 2010-02-07 09:09:12

ZaQ

You can find actual mirrors for example on https://users.archlinux.de/~gerbra/mirrorcheck.html

refresh command: pacman -Syu (or pacman -Syyu (forces the upgrade of the db))

pacman.conf: Yes, you don't need the Server line. Its enough, if you have the Include line and uncommented server(s)

#8 2010-02-07 14:50:18

AnotherDave

ZaQ: Yes!

Make sure one of the mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist is uncommented, then pacman -Syyu. I'd tried this in an earlier install, but for some reason it didn't work.

The "Server=ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64" in manuC's post above may be helpful in some cases, but it is not necessary for my install.

Thanks for getting me back on track. I like what I see in Arch so far!

Board footer