You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-01 10:19:22

manzinger

offlineimap alternative for MH format?

Hi
Currently I use offlineimap in a cronjob every 5minutes. A widget in my statusbar tells me whether there is new mail.
I then open mutt or alpine (still can't decide which I like more) to read/write mail.
However I now tend to use claws-mail a lot, but it does not support maildir format. There was a maildir plugin but it is obviously not supported any more.
I'm now looking for an alternative to offlineimap which provides the same functionality for claws MH mail format. I don't want to have claws sitting in the background all the time. I also use offlineimap on my laptop to have my mail synced.

any ideas how to manage this?
thanks for input.

#2 2010-02-02 06:30:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: offlineimap alternative for MH format?

I run dovecot on offlineimap's maildir. Assume claws-mail does IMAP?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-02-02 07:34:08

manzinger

thanks for your reply. Your solution is also mentioned on the offlineimap site, running a imap-server on the local machine, but I think this is way too complicated for me. I think about trying evolution or kmail, they support maildir I think.

#4 2010-02-02 12:08:01

Damnshock

manzinger wrote:

thanks for your reply. Your solution is also mentioned on the offlineimap site, running a imap-server on the local machine, but I think this is way too complicated for me. I think about trying evolution or kmail, they support maildir I think.

Kmail does, not so sure about Evolution: I think it can import from maildir mailboxes but works on mbox format

Anyway, about running a local imap-server is not that complicated and works pretty well smile

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#5 2010-02-02 12:45:15

manzinger

I gave up on evolution and kmail, these have crazy dependencies with like 200-300mb. Perhaps I'll try the imap-server thing or go back to optimizing mutt.

#6 2010-02-02 13:01:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Evo 'works' with maildir directly. I have had trouble with I/O when it accesses maildir directly though. I highly recommend running an internal IMAP server, its not very hard. Check out the dovecot wiki.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer