You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-01 11:02:47

stabu

the royal we did it this way

<warning: newbie's drivel about getting up and running on Arch -  no particular, coherent question asked>
... so I wanted to install arch on a an Acer Aspire one D150.
I did it via USB key at the weekend, but had to wait till Monday to reach a fat pipe.
It was a static ip ... didn't know how to register this, answer came quicly though: /etc/rc.conf ... up and running.

(I should note that I do have to enter my default gateway manually via the route command however)

Next up was getting pacman to kick off. Uncommented a mirror, but no go! Took me half an hour to reach the pacman -Syy clue. Then everything kicked in. Got these corrupted packages coming up but I changed mirror and got over them.
"linux-api-header" conflicts were particularly common. Also gcc-libs complaints, bu again, changing to a different mirror helped. Now the mirrors may be exactly the same, but I guess I was changing the order of my package installations, and that's what over came the problems.

One concept I had trouble with were the detailed names for packages that pacman reported, and the name I should use to actually install. I opted for the lazy way. eg. pacman -S mc. Which did it ok. But I was kept wondering.

However, I'm stuck with getting X going. Decided to go for kms, in view of the guides available, which at least gave me suitable console configuration, happily without the tux logo.

Last edited by stabu (2010-02-01 11:04:39)

((marry*)(char* _hername_, char* _myname_)) = (hell<0º)? 1:0;

#2 2010-02-01 11:21:16

Acecero

Re: the royal we did it this way

Nice story. You will also have a lot more package updates coming soon due to the libjpeg/libpng rebuilds. Doing pacman -Ss <pkg> would give you some information before having to install anything you don't know about.

#3 2010-02-01 11:51:08

stabu

thanks. Have had to abandon for today. A bit nauseating I can't get X going, there are a good deal of wiki and forum posts about .. each with a good point, but it's hard to get a gen picture of what might be wrong, X-wise at least.

#4 2010-02-01 12:11:11

Acecero

It's all the recent updates, you are not the only one having this problem apparently.

#5 2010-02-01 17:21:39

stabu

I see ... yes, well when I saw that the vim package was corrupted I thought "sabotage-by-emacs-users" quite obviously.

But it turns out that the emacs package is also corrupted. How clueless can an emacs user get? :-D

Board footer