You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-03 23:13:55

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cramfs and .cmg files in arch(Success in running .cmg)

Is there a compressed ram file system in arch 2.6.10?

Cramfs is available in the kernel package but not enabled.

Cramfs would permit the download and run of .cmg files ....compressed rom files... of selected applications via the Klik client install.

The present Klik / client/install does install the Klik client in arch.  If cramfs were enabled, I believe the compressed files would be decompressed and the applications would then run.

I suspect that fstab would require entries differing from those which the Klik/client/install provides in order to be compatible.

The .cmg files are accessible from arch after the Klilk download is installed but they do not run (no cramfs). 

Up tp eight apps can run at the same time in Knoppix Klik system.

Perhaps a user can carry this discussion further.

Anyone interested can download the Klik system from:

In   KDE  ...RUN COMMAND....

wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh

The system runs in Knoppix3.7LiveCD for Dec 08,2004 and can be found in the Knoppix Klik forum.

Knoppix3.7 was modified by Klaus Knopper to include the Klik system.

What mods are necessary for arch??

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-01-04 08:44:18

vicious

Re: Cramfs and .cmg files in arch(Success in running .cmg)

You should consider squashfs instead of cramfs.
cramfs is obsolete.
You need to patch kernel manually.

#3 2005-01-04 18:58:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

vicious;

I refer to cramfs because it is used in a Knoppix system called Klik which enables downloads of applications and executes them while running on a Live CD.

I see cramfs listed in the kernel config.

It enables a ROM use of ramdisc as I understand its application.

I was interested in pursuing the use of the klik system as an adjunct to arch.

It is debian-based as are all knoppix Live CD's.  Only a few Live CD versions are presently "prepped" for klik.

My purpose would be to incorporate the klik (as appropriate to arch) in the normal use of arch linux.

Since cramfs is used to generate the .cmg files used by klik, the use of that
file system seems appropo.

Perhaps its not a possible system in arch.  There are a large number of .cmg files prepped for download...such as Opera,Juk,skype,aim,bittorent, bittornado, and hundreds more in many categories.

A possible extension of arch capability?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2005-01-04 19:06:11

vicious

Ok. I didn't know your intentions.
I thought squashfs is a better filesystem because it doesn't have the limits of cramfs and it's compression is better.
However, if you need cramfs, just recompile the kernel.

#5 2005-01-04 19:13:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

I guess I wouldn't know what to do with it if I recompiled.

I opened this post thread to discuss how it might be possible to use the system.

The system is downloadable in arch but doesn't fit the arch system as it stands.

Perhaps someone knows how to adapt it.

#6 2005-01-06 22:06:10

lilsirecho
Veteran

A recent comment by the Japanese user Suzaki was that he will merge the Klik system into the SFSKNOPPIX of the Knoppix3.7 release into the SFSKNOPPIX system

As I see this in operation, the SFSKNOPPIX LIVECD is 21MB in size.  It enables the download of Knoppix3.7 from Japan via the internet.  The Klik install occurs via the internet with the wget command.

Following the client install, the Klik applications are available from the internet as selected from the large (getting larger) archives of debian applications and installed as .cmg files (referenced on the desktop).

These files are accessed by selecting...APP RUN in a right click menu where they appear on the desktop.

The .cmg files are ro .

The files can be selectively un-installed.

This system enables one to examine many apps before making a permanent install via arch as may be desired.

The Klik system is very new and subject to the usual growing pains.  In Knoppix only selected LiveCD's as downloaded will perform the Klik system.  One of them is the 3.7 version mentioned.

It should be possible to retrofit older LiveCD's with the Klik required scripts, possibly by just replacing the minrt26.gz file with the same from the 3.7 version.

#7 2005-01-18 07:34:02

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have finally found a hacker solution to the running of .cmg files using the klik system.

Klik is a devlopment of a Knoppix developer which utilizes cramfs to generate compressed image files, downloadable and executable in more than just Knoppix.

I have downloaded and ran opera, skype,and galculator in archlinux using the following;

mount -t cramfs -o loop (paste.cmg file) /mnt/app

Open the file /mnt/app and click-drag "appRun" file to "wrapper" file and the application executes.

I find that the /mnt/app directory needs to be established with full permissions in root.

The files are downloaded from the klik software store which appears on the desktop after performing the client install per the following:

run command:  wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh

The .cmg files are categorized and downloadable from that site only.

Lots of applications, mostly debian...firefox. opera, mozilla, math, science Kde....lots more.

Try it...you'll like it![/code]

#8 2005-01-18 17:53:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

The technique is shown below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------root@n6re ~]# mount -t cramfs -o loop '/root/Desktop/apcalc.cmg' /mnt/app
[root@n6re ~]# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=2G,nr_inodes=10k)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/root/Desktop/apcalc.cmg on /mnt/app type cramfs (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
[root@n6re ~]#

Board footer