You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-02 23:13:24

suicideducky
Website

[solved]xorg configuration issues, either no mouse or flickering

Hey all, ok well a little while ago I was having trouble with hda-intel and trying to get a decent frame rate on my card, it was never solved, now after an upgrade the problem seems to have solved itself, that is except now it flickers when playing a game.

So I backup up my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then deleted it, and with startx x works fine and the game doesnt flicker, although without an xorg.conf (I beleive it uses hal?) my netbook's mouse doesn't work.

Placing the backed up xorg.conf back into /etc/X11/ reverses the problem, I have a mouse, but games = flickering.

I am FINALLY getting 55fps on super mario chronicles (my test game).

Here is the relevant lspci output:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Here is my xorg.conf that allows my mouse to work but gives me flickering, I have tried fiddling around by commenting out various lines and even whole sections but nothing has changed so I reverted the changes:
http://pastebin.org/85669

I also noted that if I moved /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the current directory and tried to run it, it wouldn't work, this same behavior occured with trying as root, and trying with the conf file generated from X -config although if I then moved the X -config file to /etc/X11 and used startx it would exhibit the same behavior as having no xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

Thanks again,
~Ducky

Last edited by suicideducky (2010-02-03 06:29:41)

#2 2010-02-03 01:38:16

Zack89

Re: [solved]xorg configuration issues, either no mouse or flickering

Have you installed the Synaptics Touch Pad driver? And ftr you dont need an xorg.conf, newer versions of X dont rely on xorg.conf

Registered User number: 496613. Show your Tux Pride!
http://counter.li.org

#3 2010-02-03 02:57:34

suicideducky
Website

Thanks for your reply Zack89,
In my xorg.conf it had synaptics commented out and I assumed this was for a reason,
I installed the synaptics driver and removed my xorg.conf and now that problem is gone smile

Although now the sensitivity for my touchpad is haywire...
I am trying to see if I configure it, currently horizontal motion is fine, but vertical motion is very slow (insensitive), this could be due to my touchpad being an odd shape.
But now I have a scrolling edge which has never worked before xD

Thanks again,
~Ducky

Last edited by suicideducky (2010-02-03 03:23:24)

#4 2010-02-03 06:28:27

suicideducky
Website

Thank for that Zack89, problem solved, for those interested I installed the xf86-input-synaptics package and removed my xorg.conf, if you do this make sure you have hal and dbus installed.

To get my touchpad to be 'more' equal in both direction I followed the instruction in man synaptics and at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synaptics.
After doing cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/11-x11-synaptics.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ I then added the following two lines in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi

<merge key="input.x11_options.VertResolution" type="string">57</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.HorizResolution" type="string">57</merge>

The two values are meant to be height and width so that synaptics can scale its calculations accordingly, instead I supplied both values with the width so that I would have even mouse movement.

Thanks again all,
~Chris

Board footer