You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-03 20:52:28

ssl6

udev hanging on new server hardware

i had to replace my dual xeon server with a dual athlon MP. the athlon's may not be as capable, considering they're 1800's and the xeon's were 2.4's, but i hated the HP server board to begin with, and its blown two 650w power supplies in the short time i've had it, so i've had enough. i had to mix some things around, added in a gigabit intel pci-x card, had to get rid of the scsi controller for now until i find another one, the "new" won't post with it.

but now i have some problems, basically, all teh server does is share windows install files for doing network installs, makes it easier to manage automated installs, and adding drivers to the images and what not. I have a seperate AD server running WDS as well with the network boot image. but now that i've swapped the hardware, udev hangs on boot, i tried booting the fallback image from the old hardware first, which didn't work, and i haven't found a liveCD that will boot yet either. i've tried a dozen kernel parameters so far, noscsi, nodma, nomsi, noapic, tried disabline acpi, etc. i've tried the legacy ide image as well on the install disc, nothing works. I'm sure there's a way to make it run linux

any suggestions what i can try to get it to boot off something? worse case scenario i'll put windows server on and run WDS on it instead and keep doing what i was doing that way. the way i had things setup before was a little bit all over the place anyway

Last edited by ssl6 (2010-02-03 20:53:43)

this is a signature

Board footer