You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-04 08:47:34

elliott

[Solved] Strange Gnome Auto-mounting Behavior

When I insert a thumbdrive or SD card I don't get an icon for it on the desktop. I do get one in the side pane of Nautilus though and if I click it, it mounts and opens without a problem, after it is mounted an icon shows up on the desktop. I am not normally a Gnome user, but I don't think this is how it is supposed to work. This is a very fresh install, all daemons that should be running are running and I am not seeing anything weird in dmesg.

Isn't there somewhere to set the behavior of this in Gnome? It has been a long time since I have used it, I swear there are less options now than there used to be.

Last edited by elliott (2010-02-04 22:08:15)

#2 2010-02-04 16:57:37

rsambuca

Re: [Solved] Strange Gnome Auto-mounting Behavior

You can change the default settings with gconf-editor.

#3 2010-02-04 19:35:39

eggplantbren

You should get an icon on the desktop. This recently broke for me, but then devicekit-disks got updated and now it works again.

#4 2010-02-04 20:26:01

elliott

rsambuca wrote:

You can change the default settings with gconf-editor.

I only found two keys related to auto-mounting:

/apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount_open
/apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount

Both are set to 'true', which is apparently the default. So I would assume it should be mounting the drives without any interaction from me and displaying the icon on the desktop, but the drives aren't being mounted until I click them in Nautilus.

EDIT:

eggplantbren wrote:

You should get an icon on the desktop. This recently broke for me, but then devicekit-disks got updated and now it works again.

That was it, my mirror (easynews) seems to be a little out of date, I grabbed devicekit-disks 009-4 from the main Arch FTP and it works as expected now. Thank you.

Last edited by elliott (2010-02-04 20:39:58)

Board footer