You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-04 12:30:34

DaNiMoTh

Pacman on OSX

Hello to all,

How many of us have used MacPorts to get all the tools we need under OSX? How many have used Fink (I hope a bit less, 'cause Fink is based on apt - and for me it is a pain! - )?

In both cases, we have to compile all things, with a lot of dependencies every time. No binary distribuition!
So, instead of making packages for these project, I was thinking about a crazy idea: porting, and use, makepkg + pacman under OSX, with a public binary repository. What a beautiful dream...

The first thing is: Can be useful? How many are interested?

Then, I discovered some point that needs to be discussed *before* implementation.

1) Where install packages?
-- For me, the best location isn't /usr or /usr/local, as explained here [1]. For handling this and don't hard-modify any PKGBUILD, IMHO we need to modify makepkg in a way that all installation will be prefixed with our default.

2) Link to the Apple System libraries?
-- I'm unhappy with both: if we link to the apple libraries, we could break into these problems [2], but linking with our own will cause many missing dependencies when installing a single package (yes, there is pacman that handle this, but if I want a git installation I don't want 100 Mb of dependencies, otherwise I download the sources and compile it myself with 0 kb of dep).

3) How organize our repo?
-- Universal (big big size) or divided by arch? In last case, we may need a makepkg's feature, from a single PKGBUILD obtain 2 (or 3) packages: ppc, x86 and x86_64. Maybe a little more time for the packager, but less time and size for the end users. No, not using the ppc arch is a bad way - I'm using a PPC smile

Your thought are welcome. If other problems will be found, I'll update this post.

Many thanks

[1] http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#defaultprefix
[2] http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#syslibs

#2 2010-02-04 12:32:30

Allan
Pacman
Website

#3 2010-02-04 13:17:31

DaNiMoTh

Re: Pacman on OSX

It seems died sad

Anyway, question 2 & 3 are still valid.

For the question 1, I see that Arch-OSX uses /opt/arch.

Board footer