You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-04 16:35:34

ezzetabi

Computer suddenly turns off.

I recently changed computer and it usually works pretty well.

Unfortunately it seldom turns off without any apparent reason: just puff, gone.

I thought it was problem of heating, so I used mprime for about six hours in torture maximum heat mode. The CPU warms, but it never goes over 60 Celsius. Also the test do not give any error.

So I tried burning my video card, I find nothing made explicitly for Linux so I used FurMark via Wine. Once again the GPU warmed, but it never reached critical levels.

I also tested the ram using application in the ArchLinux install CD, nothing wrong.

In all cases the computer did not shut down.
It happened today again when I was relaxing playing track mania freeware... I am out of ideas, do anyone had similar problems? The only pattern I can see is that happen when playing 3d games in Wine.

Insight? Ideas? Other tests I can try?

#2 2010-02-04 17:22:26

davidm

Re: Computer suddenly turns off.

How's your power supply?

#3 2010-02-04 17:24:30

SemiBz

1. Check log files
2. Check BIOS ( CPU heat protection, probably on newer ones such function exists for other parts as well )

If you don't have ANYTHING to start with, it'll be hard to determinate the source of this behavior.

#4 2010-02-04 18:28:54

Cyrusm

other possibilities:
did you build the computer your self?  because there might be inter-hardware compatibility issues that you aren't considering
(i.e. your motherboard is incompatible with your processor)
you could check your power-supply as well, power supply testers are pretty easy to come by.

just my 2 cents.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#5 2010-02-04 21:22:08

ezzetabi

davidm wrote:

How's your power supply?

If you mean the PSU it is new as the computer. It should be fine: but how can I check it?
If you mean the mains electricity I am not actually sure. But the old computer never had similar problems.

SemiBz wrote:

1. Check log files

Good idea, next time it happens I'll write down the time and see the logs.

SemiBz wrote:

1. Check log files
2. Check BIOS ( CPU heat protection, probably on newer ones such function exists for other parts as well )

If you don't have ANYTHING to start with, it'll be hard to determinate the source of this behavior.

Since the computer turn off without warning it is hard giving something...
About Bios: the computer should shut down when it becomes too hot, but temperature never goes so high.

Cyrusm wrote:

other possibilities:
did you build the computer your self?  because there might be inter-hardware compatibility issues that you aren't considering
(i.e. your motherboard is incompatible with your processor)

Yes, I build the computer. As far as I know there are no incompatibilities, how can I check? just googleing the parts name?

Anyhow, thanks for the help. I'll write down the log next time, eventually get a multimeter and check the power supply.

#6 2010-02-05 01:39:57

RJARRRPCGP

That sounds like a shutdown, because the processor reached a critical temp.

(In Intel lingo, this means TJ Max was reached.) (Which appears to be 100 C with most Core processors)

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP (2010-02-05 01:40:58)

Board footer