You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-04 23:20:12

mohtasham1983

[SOLVED] Google Chrome vs Chromium

A few months ago while visiting Youtube, I noticed it was asking me to install google chrome. So I realized the Linux version is finally out. So I googled for it and installed it on my Ubuntu laptop under the name of google-chrome. Then I tried to install it on my 64 bit Arch Linux machine. I googled for it, but didn't find anything. I tried to search for it on pacman, but I only found Chromium. I installed it, and it looked exactly the same as my google-chrome on ubuntu.

Today, I got confused whether or not chromium is the same as google-chrome. I read somewhere that chromium is the ported version of windows google-chrome for Linux while there's a separate version of google-chrome for linux, named google-chrome. I don't find any differences between my google-chrom on ubuntu and chromium on Arch, but I'm really confused.

Would be glad if someone tells me what is what.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just found my answer at: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ … ogleChrome

Last edited by mohtasham1983 (2010-02-04 23:23:30)

#2 2010-02-04 23:42:12

sand_man

Re: [SOLVED] Google Chrome vs Chromium

Yep that link explains it all straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
Basically chromium is the open source projected created by Google and google-chrome is a slightly modified version, google branded version of the browser that comes in binary form.

neutral

Board footer