You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-06 21:14:20

hauntergeist

[Solved] Filesystem check failed - manual repair too

Good Evening.

Recently my Arch box hang up and I had to reboot forcefully. I expected to get a filesysem scan. The messages on bootup say, that the filesystem check failed and I have to repair it manually. The exact error message is similar to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89394.

Then I log into the maintenance shell and try to run fsck -pck /dev/sdXX. But that doesn't work because it complains that the filesystem is no ext2-fs or the superblock is corrupt. I should try one of the backup superblocks. To figure out the backup superblocks, I tried mke2fs -n /dev/sdXX but that does not work either. Now it complains that /dev/sdXX does not exist! I looked in /dev and the partitions really don't show up. Where are they? I mean, the maintenance shell works on the / partition, or does it?

To cut a long story short, I can't check my partitions and I don't know any other way how to fix the problem. The next ArchLive CD is 500 km away.

I appreciate any help.

Greetz,
haunted

EDIT:
Ok, I solved the problem as I got my ArchLive CD. If it's to anybody's use, that's the procedure I went through:
I inserted the CD and booted from it. I ran the e2fsck several times. First I did an overall check (e2fsck -v /dev/sdaX) on my Arch partition which I had to do manually i.e. type "y" to every inconsisteny found, then updated the badblock list (e2fsck -vc /dev/sdaX) and checked the partition again.

I rebooted the system without the CD to look if I succeded repairing the hdd. Eventually I deleted the /sys mountpoint in the procedure and had to create it again via ArchLive CD. After the next reboot it complained that the superblock's timestap was written in the future. Rebooting with the CD again, checking again and rebooting without CD again.

It wasn´t of any use and Arch complained again. Then I simply rebooted the system (without CD) again and on start up it stopped complaining and did a normal check on the Arch partition, completed the check and went on loading as normal. System repaired.

Last edited by hauntergeist (2010-02-08 11:11:59)

Board footer