You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-07 15:34:20

xmpd

tint2 tray icons show on wrong monitor in dual monitor setup

I recently installed Arch with openbox and started getting everything set up. This morning I configured my dual monitor setup and everything is working as expected, except tint2's tray icons. My 'primary' monitor is to my right with my secondary to my left, and all tint2 tray icons show to the one on the left. I've looked through the tint2 configuration options as well as searching google and the forums to no avail. I've used xrandr to configure my monitor setup. The monitor on the right is set as --primary, although I don't know if that actually does anything.

#2 2010-02-07 19:01:05

robrene

Re: tint2 tray icons show on wrong monitor in dual monitor setup

As far as I'm aware, tint2 does not check to see which monitor is the primary monitor. For me, it always puts the notification area on the left panel, no matter what settings I use. Perhaps you could try to run two tint2 instances, each using a different config. One for each screen, and the right one would have systray=1 while the left one would have systray=0

smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool

#3 2010-02-07 20:50:17

Knute

I did a quick google search and found the configuration documentation for tint2.

http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure

Apparently there is an option panel_monitor where you can specify which monitor that tint2 shows up on.

Now,  as far as X is concerned, your primary monitor would be the one that is on before you get your login manager and login.   Some of the settings programs have an option to show you which monitor is which.  I don't have dual displays set up right now, so I can't say where it is located in the nvidia-settings, but I remember seeing it a long time ago.

HTH

Knute

#4 2010-02-07 21:09:52

xmpd

Alright, I think I've gotten it working, although its a hack of a fix.

The first thing I tried was just starting an instance on each monitor. That didn't work. What it did was show all tasks on both panels, regardless of monitor.

The next thing i tried was starting an instance of tint2 on all monitors with systray disabled, then starting another instance only on the right monitor with systray enabled ontop of it. This appeared to work, but with each click it would switch between instances of tint2. This caused weird stuff to happen with task positions, and every odd click would make the systray disappear.

Then, I was looking over the tint2 config docs and came across panel_layer. Then I changed my configs from the previous try and left the tint2 across both monitors at the default panel_layer of bottom. I changed the other one to have a panel_layer of top. This appears to be working correctly.

Here are the relevant parts of each tint2rc file:

'tint2rc' - tint2 started only on the right monitor, with a systray, and on top of the other tint2

panel_monitor = 2
panel_layer = top
systray = 1

'tint2rc2' - tint2 started across both monitors with the systray disabled

panel_monitor = all
panel_layer = bottom
systray = 0

Edit:

Seems this doesn't work as well as I thought. Tasks started on the right monitor then moved to the left monitor will 'stick' on the right monitor's taskbar.

Last edited by xmpd (2010-02-07 23:32:36)

#5 2012-06-14 16:16:30

skython

Fixed it by editing the sourcecode and recompiling tint2

In panel.c in line 180 change:

if (systray.area.on_screen && i == 0) {

to:

if (systray.area.on_screen && i == 1) {

#6 2017-04-30 09:33:36

Vinz78

Hi,
I try many solutions, the only thing that works to show up the panel on all of my 3 monitors is to set

under # Panel

panel_monitor = all

and under # System Tray

systray_monitor = 2

in the tint2rc.

the Systray is only show'n on monitor 2 because i dont get it to ran on all Monitors ...

Greetz Vinz78

#7 2017-04-30 10:36:53

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to the forums, Vinz78, and thanks for sharing. However, please note that this is a seven year old thread. Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct, particularly the section regarding necrobumping.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer