You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-07 22:03:53

Mad Fish

How to use JACK in KDE?

It can't start because of something that is using ALSA

$ jackd -d alsa
jackd 0.116.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
cannot load driver module alsa

Nothing is running in background, just plain KDE. Also I've tried to shut down KMix - nothing changed.

Any ideas?

#2 2010-02-08 16:47:58

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How to use JACK in KDE?

KDE's phonon  is capturing the device.  The KDE sound system uses either gstreamer (default) or xine (IMHO vastly supperior) as a back end to talk to the sound hardware.

I suggest installing the xine-phonon back end and confiugure it using the systemsettings tool and using the multimedia control  backend tab to set it to be the preferred device

Then use the Device Preference tab to select the Jack Audio Connection Kit as the preferred device in each category (As a shortcut, you can use the "Apply Device List To..." button.)

There is no need to explicitly start Jack.  I think that when phonon starts, the xine backend starts Jack for you.

If you choose to use gstreamer, you need to set your device preferences to Default.  I have had poor success with this route.

I have some software (VirtualBox) that work best through pulseaudio.  It is possible to run pulseaudio as a jack source.  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pul … rough_JACK is a pretty good article on this.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer