You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-08 03:04:15

jeagoss

UDEV + Current X Session Problem

I followed the tutorial on how to automatically disable the touchpad when a usb mouse is plugged in using UDEV.  Tutorial I followed: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syn … _detection

However, this is not working.  I did confirm that udev was passing the events properly by changing "/usr/bin/synclient TouchpadOff=1" to "echo 1 > /catchfile".  This worked exactly as planned.  (I Changed "/usr/bin/synclient -s TouchpadOff=1" to "/usr/bin/synclient TouchpadOff=1" as "-s" is not a supported argument with the newest version of synclient.)

I ran the command myself in a konsole window and the command works fine.  But, when the command is run from udev, it does not work.  The only thing I can think of is that synclient is not able to connect to my x session.  Is this a known problem?  (Yes, I did a fair amount of searching google and this forum before posting.)  Is there a way to make this work correctly?  (Similar to an xhost command?  xhost doesn't work, but maybe another command.)

Like I said, I did confirm that udev is running a program upon the rule match.  But any commands that are associated with x do not complete correctly.  I'm at a loss of what I can do next.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2010-02-08 17:29:50

megawebmaster

Re: UDEV + Current X Session Problem

I've found that a long time ago, but it wasn't so important to me to post here. But I've got exactly the same problem as yours.

#3 2010-02-08 17:43:53

eldragon

Re: UDEV + Current X Session Problem

ive had this problem long ago, gave up on it shortly after. used to work under a certain version, the next one broke it.

i *THINK* its got to do with synclient that needs to attach to the user's dbus session

but dont quote me on that. just pointing somewhere to research wink

Board footer